Chapter 26: Morse-Coded Apology

/24/
Morse-Coded Apology

---

THERE WAS an air of festivity in the girls' dormitory that night as the three young women busied themselves in the bright kitchen, preparing their dinner. The sound of sizzling pans and warm laughter was enough for any passerby to think that someone might celebrating their birthday.

But of course there was no feast or occasion, just simply the aftermath of the the ladies' reconciliation.

"But why would Tyra be the culprit? It just—" Sera remarked, pausing as she chopped onions by the kitchen counter, shrugging her shoulders. "Well, it just doesn't make sense. She doesn't have a clear motive."

"That's true," Ann replied, gesturing to Sera before glancing at the ziploc on the table which contained the long strand of hair she had recently discovered inside the box that the culprit sent. "But all clues lead to her."

Kakatapos lamang ng dalaga na ipakita ang bahid ng buhok sa dalawang kaibigan, who seemed just as confused about Tyra's motives as she is.

"Pero kung si Tyra nga, anong connection niya sa cephalopods? Does the sea life interest her too?" Queenie asked as she sautéed the beef cubes in a sauce pan.

"Sa totoo lang 'di ko na-gets yung part na 'yun sa kwento mo." Sera admitted jokingly as she poured the chopped onions in the same pan that Queenie was cooking. "What do cepha-something even mean?"

"Cephalopods are marine animals. They represent any member of the molluscan class Cephalopoda, such as cuttlefishes, octopuses, and squids." Queenie explained as she mixed the onions with the beef cubes. Ann on the other hand, was preparing the garlic butter sauce for the meal.

"Baka nagkataon lang Q?" Tanong ni Sera, leaning on the counter with one hand on her hips. "Maybe she had some squid lying in her dorm room and was like, 'Oooh, I could use this!'"

Natawa naman ang mga dalaga, the room smelling like Christmas eve when families would gather 'round to cook a plethora of the most scrumptious meals.

"Parang ang convenient naman nun though? That Tyra would know about soybean oil and cephalopod ink as good components for writing bloody threats on the walls." Ann remarked teasingly as she poured the sauce in Queenie's pan.

"I don't know," Queenie shook her head. "But I'm convinced that it was intentional. Soon, malalaman rin natin."

"Yep," Sera nodded, before raising her hands. "BUT. The question first is..."

She then faced Ann who was now preparing the dining. Sera glanced at Queenie as she crossed her arms. "Tuloy ba ang imbestigasyon?"

When Ann felt the two pairs of eyes on her, the young girl guiltily looked up, facing her two friends. "I'm not sure about that part actually." She admitted, placing the last pair of utensils on her plate.

"'Di ko pa kinakausap si Rein, at mukhang wala rin siyang balak na kausapin ko." She said with a hint of bitterness in her tone, trying to hide her face behind her hair. "So, I'm not sure if we're still pushing through with the partnership for the Writers' Schism."

Natawa ng mahina ang dalaga, hanging her head low. "So yeah, all these new leads are great news, don't get me wrong. AND, I really appreciate both of you — but I'm not sure if I'm ready to... well, you know, work with him again."

Queenie shook her head.

"No Ann," the curly-haired girl responded with pursed lips. "You were always ready to work with him."