"You should all have a partner" Dr. Langston called. "Three seconds"

"Do you have a partner?"

"No- I'm an Immortal" I answered, I was trying hard not to look at Byron. They were seated close to each other, talking.

"Goblin"

"Perfect" we took a seat next to each other.

"What's your name" he asked. I finally looked at him. He was handsome.

"Iris" I smiled.

"Henri" he held out his hand. I took it without hesitating. He was taller than I was. He had broad shoulders and bright brown eyes. He was wearing a dark blue cloak. He had a huge smile. I couldn't help smiling at him. We talked for another half an hour or so. He was incredibly smart. He was the son of an old Counsel advisor. We walked to lunch together.

"So what classes do you have next?" I showed him my schedule.

"Wow, quite a load. You are on the Guard track, right?" he handed it back to me.

"Yeah and you"

"I am going into law, I just don't know if I want to be a lawyer or an advisor" he smiled at me. i glanced around looking for Ezra and Thomas.

"I don't see Thomas or Ezra, my friends"

"That's fine, want to have lunch really quick. I have to go see my advisor and probably meet up with Enden later" he sat down. I sat down across from him facing the door. I would probably see Thomas and Ezra soon. I loosened my cloak, taking it off. I also took off my jacket.

"Wow those are sweet" he looked at my tattoos. I self-consciously tugged my shirt down.

"Thanks, I got them over the summer" I smiled at him. I started to serve myself some food. "Enden? Do you mean Byron?"

"Yeah I have to meet him later to get a schedule. I'm not entirely sure of the details" he shrugged. "So anyway, when are you applying to the Guard. You look a little young." He smiled at me.

"Not for a few more years" I replied uncomfortably. I hated when people asked questions about applying to the Guard. "I'm seventeen so I have to wait for a while. My father was a Guardian and so they want me to follow in his tracks and join the Guard."

"Same here, my family has served the Counsel for generations" he rolled his eyes. "and so I have to follow in their footsteps" he waved his hand. He served himself some potatoes. He didn't have a stupid diet restriction. "Looks good huh?" I had been watching him load his plate up with roasted potatoes and rice.

"Yes" I sighed heavily. "I miss my old summer diet now I'm back to eating this" i stared down at my plate full of salad and chicken. I met his eyes and he laughed at me.

"Luckily I'm not joining the Guard" he wrinkled his nose. "Especially not with Enden as the poster child for the Academy" he made a disgusted face.

"You don't like him" I couldn't help smiling. "I didn't get along with him last year"

"Who would?" he scoffed at me. "Anyway, so when do you want to get together and start our assignment. I was thinking we could maybe hang out this weekend and get to know each other. I have to get to know your Immortal life and you my Goblin life which is not very exciting by the way" he chuckled. "We aren't as traditional as the Immortals"

"I don't know much about Goblins" I admitted to him.

"We are simple people" he gave me a teasing smile. I couldn't help laughing. "I'm serious, we are vegetarians and we are some of the smartest people in the world" he winked. I bit my lip back trying not to laugh. "My mother is a Healer and my father is an Advisor so I guess my life wasn't very simple but normally we hold craft-jobs, you know architects and engineers. Did you know many of my ancestors built this castle?" he looked around. "My great-grandfather who is still kicking by the way built that mirror" he pointed at the giant mirror behind me.

"Really?" I looked around. It was a beautifully designed dining hall. "It is a cool mirror, I thought that King"

"My great-grandfather built it and King Weston I believe worked with it, it is supposed to be charmed. See Goblins and Immortals are meant to work together" he smiled at me. It was a huge flirtatious smile and I had to look away. "Are you blushing?"

"No" I started to eat.

"That's cute" Henri teased. My face started to burn. "You are blushing, that is the cutest thing I have ever seen" I bit my lip back. "and you are nervous. You bite your lip when you are nervous" I wanted to cover my face and melt into the chair. "Okay, I'll stop making you uncomfortable" he laughed. I glanced at him. I tried to not smile. "but you've got the sweetest blush I have ever seen. See you in class" he got up. I stared at him. Thomas and Ezra stared after him.

"Who is that?"

"Henri" I replied. "He will be my partner for History, so what about you two?" I asked. I looked at the door. I could see Henri talking to Byron, they walked off together.

We were walking to our training session together.

"So who do you think Jude is?" I asked them.

"He's got to be an excellent knives instructor for you to be paired up with him" Thomas shrugged.

"I don't know" Ezra shrugged. "Byron didn't look too happy. Maybe an old rival"

"Maybe" I smiled gleefully. What a great way to start my new year. I was going to be paired up with Byron's old rival. I was now looking forward to a great new year.

"So I have your schedule, you will meet Jude tomorrow" he made a disgusted face when he said his name. "He is figuring out his own schedule but it should be resolved by the end of today." He thrusted a paper in my direction. I couldn't help smirking at him. He merely rolled his eyes.

"So do we still have that knives competition later tonight?" I asked him. He nodded in response.

"Meet me at the entrance of the dining hall. The competition will be in the back building."

"Sure" I glanced at my paper. I had a brand new schedule of which classes I would attend with Byron and the two I had Jude. "I hope you don't plan on giving me homework"

"No but you will have to Rank first in the knives competition"

"What?" I yelped. My mouth dropped. "I already have swords and you want me to'

"You wanted to learn a new weapon" Byron replied with an eye roll. "Even though I don't like Jude" he again said his name with dislike. "He is an excellent instructor so don't worry too much about it" he lifted his nose in dislike.