Chapter Forty-Eight

I felt like if my head was spinning. I grasped the wall tightly.

Keep it cool, I had to tell myself.

It couldn't be true what Ayla, Thomas's girlfriend was saying. Thomas and Ezra had taken off with some of the guard students.

"From the looks of it, some others left too" Ayla looked upset that Thomas had ditched her. If she only knew what actually was going on. She was right, there were barely any people left at the party.

Byron met my eyes. Henri was standing next to me, his eyes on me as well.

"Thanks Ayla" Byron answered. "He'll come back around" she left with her friends.

"You can't go after them?" Byron yelled after me. They were following me to my room.

"Try and stop me" I threatened the both of them. We came to a stop at the front of my door. I fumbled with my door. Ares was waiting for me, he looked agitated.

"A phoenix?" Henri sounded amazed.

"Ares , Henri. Henri...Ares" I introduced them. On my bed was a box that i hadn't seen before. I lifted it up.

"Since when do you have a phoenix?" Henri approached Henri. Ares gave him a reproachful look. Henri tried to pet him but he nipped his finger.

"He doesn't like you very much" I told Henri. Henri's eyebrows flew up. He was holding his finger in his mouth. "He likes Byron more"

"Right" Henri gave Byron a dirty look. Byron only shrugged back at him but there was a pleased smile.

"Students report to the main Hall. Immediately" the Headmistress voice came on the speakers. We looked at each other.

We gathered around in the hall. I was standing in between Henri and Byron. I realized that I had brought the box with me. There were two figures standing at the front. It was the Headmistress and Ronald.

"'Ronald?" I turned to Byron who only shrugged at me. Dr. Nan and Dr. Langston were standing at the side.

I heard some whispering going around.

"The Guardians are here" I heard Brenda whisper to her friends. "The rumors are true, oh my god, the future Guardians are here"

Henri, Byron and I looked at each other. We weren't supposed to be presented until after our final test.

"Good evening students" the Headmistress called. Everybody grew quiet. The entire school had to be present. There were various other students present.

"What the heck is going on?" Henri asked. He touched my hand briefly. He started to inch his way to the front. I grabbed Byron's hand so he would follow.

"We have some unfortunate news to share with you" the Headmistress looked over at the faculty and staff. "We are cancelling all trips out of the school"

"What" someone yelled behind me. I looked at him so he could keep his mouth shut. There were similar reactions.

"All scheduled events are also cancelled. The spring festival will be cancelled, all sport events and possibly the Ranks"

"Nooo" I heard exclaims.

Henri stopped a few feet from the front. Ronald glanced once at us and looked away.

"Henri what"

"We have reason to believe that students at our school are in danger"

There wasn't a single sound across the hall.

"Your fellow classmates are missing from the school grounds, all are on the Guard route" the Headmistress cleared her throat. Her face was grave and serious. "Ronald is here to advise us on"

"What the hell" Henri leaned in close to Byron and I. "Three students, that's not a coincidence."

"They are looking for us" I whispered to Byron who nodded with a grave face. His face had lost all color. Henri turned to look back at me.

"Let me go talk to my father" Henri turned to Byron, Dr. Nan and Dr. Langston. All Keepers were present at the meeting. I was standing in the corner trying to keep it together. My hands were clutching the box tightly against my chest. Ezra and Thomas were missing and so were a handful of other students.

"No" Dr. Nan shook his head at him. His eyes flashed dangerously daring Henri to contradict him. "What are you going to tell him? You know who the Guardians are? That you think that the Duke and the Queen have taken students out from under our noses." He looked pissed.

"Then what are we supposed to do?" I snapped at them. "Stand around until they figure out a way to escape"

"Iris" Byron put a hand on my shoulder. I stepped away from them. "We will try to get them back"

Nobody was panicking. I was the only one freaking out.

"How? Tell me the plan" I met Ronald's eyes. "What is the plan"

"Iris we are searching the castle. They couldn't have left the grounds. We would know" Dr. Nan tried to put a calm hand on me but I stepped away from him. "Everything will be okay"

"No it won't if Charles hurts them. If he does what he did to me" I stared to blink back tears again. It had been a long time since I had thought about him. "I am not going to stand around and have them get TORTURED" I shouted at them all. My favorite professor was staring at me with sad eyes.

"Iris, you will stay put. We will take care of finding them. You are much of better use than other there. If you get caught" Dr. Langston ordered me.

"I don't take orders from any of you" I glared at all of them. Dr. Langston had a shocked expression on his face. He averted his eyes which surprised me. "Try and stop me" I dared them.

I made my way to my room. The only two following me were Henri and Byron.

"What is your plan?" Byron shouted after me. All students were in lock-down in the main hall. "Are you going to get yourself killed?"

Byron grasped my arm.

"You are going to get yourself killed" Byron snarled at me. "They are full grown Immortals and Warlocks, you are still"

"I can't sit around and wait for them to be rescued" I spat back at him. "How long will that be? A month"

He winced slightly. It had taken a month for me to get rescued.

"They are strong enough. Don't under-estimate them" Byron replied calmly.

"I don't. I don't underestimate them but who I am scare of most is Charles and the Duke. We under-estimated them. They are up to something"

* Almost done, probably three more chapters and an epilogue*