Chapter Thirty-Nine

"Did you like your gifts?" Byron asked. I had noticed that he had followed me out of the boys room.

"Yes of course. They were nice" I tried to not make a face at the tissue that was poking out from the boxes.

"But?" he lifted an eyebrow. "It looked like you wanted to burn the dresses with your eyes"

"If only I could do that" I grumbled. He was part Eller so I cleared my throat. "They were nice but I would have liked something cool like what Ezra or Thomas got."

"Not the bridal chain" Byron smirked. I nudged him with my elbow.

"Especially not the bridal chain" i grumbled with dislike. "So what did you get?" I eyed his un-opened packages.

"I was about to go see open them" Byron grinned.

"Well that's unfair" I grumbled at his gifts. He had been given a pebble from the Druids, a sheath for a sword made out of some kind of stone, and a pair of red crystals from the Shaman.

"What is the other one?" I nodded at the small box. It looked like it would contain jewelry.

"That one is actually from my grandmother" Byron hadn't touched it. There was an open note next to the small box. "Anika Enden who is actually my grandmother is the Eller Chief" he let out a sound of disbelief. "She is my father's mother. My dad was an Eller and my mother an Immortal" he was frowning at the box. "I shouldn't have contacted her."

"You didn't know" I reached over and squeezed Byron's hand. "Besides, I know you were curious about your family. That is natural. You will get to spend part of your summer with your family, Byron. It will be fun and you'll-"

He opened the box.

He started to laugh. I got to my feet and went around. It was a ring.

It was a gorgeous silver vintage ring.

"I guess they want you to get married too" I lifted the box. I carefully pulled the ring out. "It is beautiful though"

"Ugh" Byron waved his hand. "I shouldn't be thinking of marriage until I have graduated and have a job"

"You want to get married?" my eyebrows flew up in surprise. I couldn't help putting the ring on. It fit perfectly. Byron took my hand and admired the ring.

"It looks nice" he complimented my hand. I made a face of disgust and took it off. "And, I guess I want to get married. It clearly shows that I'm going to get married someday" he rolled his eyes at the ring. He picked it up and eyed it.

"Well good luck with that" I leaned against Byron's desk. "Marriage sounds like a lot of work. Relationships are a lot of work." I made a face. Henri had left yesterday. He wouldn't be back for two weeks.

Byron chuckled in response at me.

"Sounds like Henri is just as bad as I was" he leaned backwards. His fingers touched is lips briefly. His gesture made me look at his lips. I had to tear my eyes from his mouth.

"Worse" I grumbled with frustration. "I know it is his job" He was still staring up at me. "Never-mind, it doesn't matter." I cleared my throat. "So, what do you have planned for tomorrow?" I picked up the small box again.

The idea of Byron getting married with someone bothered me. The ring clearly was meant for someone.

"Do you think your grandmother knows who you are going to marry?" I grumbled. I realized I had said it out loud. Byron chuckled taking the box from me. He snapped it shut with one hand.

"Probably otherwise she wouldn't had sent it. Does that bother you?"

I lifted my eyes slightly. I realized that we were really close to each other.