(4) He's the main actor

4.

There were three more says left for school and I was really looking forward to get back on track of my studies. Unfortunately my friends didn't think the same. Daniel kept complaining how he would have to go through the torture of enduring so many hours of school and how it would limit his free time. He had finally gotten a part time job at a grocery store where his work involved helping the customers. It was a three and a half hour shift and he absolutely hated it. Daniel's laziness wasn't news to me; he hated to do anything productive and was always complaining about things.

Carmen on the other hand was worried about her reputation. She said that everybody was going to make fun of how much more weight she had gained over the summer. She was talking about some people and mentioning names and such despite the fact that I had no idea who these people were. I just tagged along and nodded every now and then.

I had tried to console her over the 'weight' issue and assured her that she wasn't over weight which was true. Sure she wasn't as slim as many other girls but to me, that didn't matter. She was worrying without any reason. After some attempts I finally gave up on making her see how wrong she was.

We were out to shop for our books that day. I had no idea what subjects they were taking before but when they bought the books I got my answer. I had selected English Literature, World History, Drama and then Food and Nutrition as an extra subject. My previous choice included Thinking Skills but I gave up on it quickly.

Later we sat in an outdoor ice cream parlor and Daniel kept asking me stupid questions over my subject choices,

''But why did you take an extra?'' he cried in horror, ''aren't those three enough? You will never have enough time Ally!'' I exchanged a glance with Carmen and she rolled her eyes,

''don't worry; I know I can handle it. And this is probably nothing. I know people that would have taken five subjects.''

His eyed widened, ''But still, don't you think this is too much burden?''

''I'm not gonna work anywhere so it's fine.'' I said waving him off. All my tuition was already paid by dad and he had already made the deal with mom that he would also take responsibility for university. I hated being a burden and had gotten into a long argument with dad but nothing had moved him. My parents were always going out of their way to do stuff for me and it made me feel like a load all over again, as much as I tried to shake away the guilt I couldn't help it.

''Ally's a total brainic, she can handle this. And not everybody's like you.'' Carmen piped in and I gave her a grateful smile.

I ate my ice cream while they started bickering about my subjects again. The argument went from one topic to another and before I knew they were bantering about some actor whose name I had never heard. Carmen and Daniel resembled those two characters from books that always fought like old married couples and then ended up together in the last part.

''You guys should have dated each other, it would've been hilarious.'' I chimed, grinning at them.

But their reaction surprised me completely. They stopped talking and gave me a long stare, making me feel uncomfortable. Daniel looked away first; in fact he even stood up and backed away from us,

''I'll throw this'' he muttered and was off towards the dust bin. I narrowed my eyes; Carmen now looked down and was playing with her ice cream while it melted into a liquid thingy she would never probably eat.

''Did I say something wrong?'' I asked but none of them answered.

Daniel was back, ''Ally, I forgot to ask but did you talk to your dad?''