(24) The hole in the road

24.

''Rose, do you like Emily Dickinson?'' I asked her, while going through a fresh set of notes she had made. Her handwriting was really messy and it was taking me a lot of time just to comprehend what was written. She kept looking at me self consciously, so I asked her to keep her busy with something else while I was at it.

''Not really, she was too grim.''

''But always realistic. Life is just as grim.''

''Teacher,'' she began curiously, ''you sound a little sad today, is something bothering you?''

''No, I'm totally  fine.'' I replied, putting on a smile for her. Rose didn't look convinced but grinned back hesitantly. I handed her back the notes,

''On weekend, make sure to practice lots of past papers. If you do well in those, then getting a good grade would be easier. And also try to look at Examiner's report from past years. It might be hard to find but I heard it helps a lot.''

''Yes!'' She replied with a fake salute,

''You're so dramatic sometimes, it reminds me of a guy I know.'' Her smile vanished, replaced by a look I couldn't quite comprehend. She closed her notebook and reached for a stack of novels on her bedside table.

''You should read this book. I just finished it last night, it's really great.'' It wasn't the first time she was giving me something to read. She had already lend me three books. I always made a note to lend her mine as well but forgot.

''What's this one about?''

''Coping'' Her answer surprised me. I met her gaze and she looked away,

''Did...Trevor said anything to you?'' I asked her keeping my voice neutral. Though I had no idea why Trevor would tell her something like that. But the way she had said the word, I had felt something strong behind it.

''Jackson doesn't have a loose tongue.'' She reached forward and grabbed my arm, raising my sleeves a little and revealed scratches and cuts. Ones I got today at school because someone pushed me in the cafeteria and made me fall on the trash bin, which just happened to have something sharp in it. When I saw Rose staring at them, I was too vulnerable for my comfort and immediately tried to pry my arm back.

''These are nothing, I fell down at home. I'm so clumsy.''

''I saw you crying yesterday, when you were waiting for me. Your eyes were all red.''

''That's because-''

''Teach'' she spoke softly, her eyes were still fixed on my arm, ''do you know why I don't go to school?'' I had often wondered about it, but every time I brought it up with Trevor he always changed the subject.

''Why?''

''Because its a very scary place,'' Rose sounded like she was in pain, ''it had been a really scary place for me. I'm afraid to go back.''

''What happened?'' I protruded, urging for her to say more.

''Lets just say I also fell down at home and got these.'' She said, chuckling dryly.

''Are you guys talking again?'' Trevor entered the room and asked, it looked like he just got back from work. It was time for my shift but I wasn't going.

''You're always eavesdropping,'' Rose complained, ''can't you give us some time alone?''

Trevor made a face, ''I brought Mouse to teach you stuff, not for you to bore her with your stupid tales.''