(5) The one with the scowl

5.

On Sunday, my excitement for the school was turned into jumbled thoughts about Daniel and Carmen. When I first came here, I thought everything was the same (except Daniel's hair color of course) but after listening to Flynn, I realized that I was wrong. Things might not be like before anymore. Who was I kidding anyways? Six years were a long time for people and their relationships to change. How could I assume that everything would be just like it was when I left London before?

I couldn't think straight that day. It was hard to imagine them together, even though the possibility was real I had never thought about them that way. But they had acted so normal around me. But no, I had overlooked the awkwardness now and then, as if their relationship was never a thing. What about that?

If they broke up, weren't they supposed to be upset with each other? But then again, I didn't knew when all this happened. Flynn did mention that they sorted something out. But apparently it meant that even though they were 'acting' like friends, they were still troubled about it. At least Carmen was.

I was missing a lot of parts of the story, Dale had already said that he didn't want to tell me anything related to Daniel because it wasn't his place to speak and I agreed with him. Then the only person whom I could turn to was Flynn. But I didn't want to ask him without thinking this thoroughly. Wouldn't it be intruding Carmen's privacy? If both of my friends hadn't chosen to tell me this, there must be a reason behind that.

After tiring my brains for another half an hour I finally decided to let the matter go for now. Mom was probably working in her office downstairs and the house was eerily quiet. Back in New York, things were never this, my dad was a fairly loud person and whenever he was home, it was impossible to find a silent moment. Either it would be loud volume of CNN echoing in the living room or him talking obnoxiously to his clients. Even when I was alone, the sound of traffic and blaring horns outside managed to seep through the walls.

I dressed in a yellow dress and brushed my hair before treading downstairs. I knocked on mom's door and went inside. Her office was small but fairy organized, she was really good at keeping things neat.

''Ally, are you hungry? Should I make something for you?'' She asked while furiously scribbling on some documents,

''Um, no. I was actually going to the church-''

''It's already past the time, the sermon would be probably over.'' She murmured checking her wrist watch,

''It's okay, I'll go on time from next Sunday.'' I said goodbye to her and when I opened the front door I saw Dale watering the small lawn next door. He caught me coming and waved with a smile.

''Hey Caterpillar''

''Hey, keep that away from me.'' I said approaching carefully and eyeing the water pipe. He grinned viciously and sprayed a bit on me. I shrieked and leaped away from the hedges, rushing away from him.

When I wiped away the droplets from my face he was busy laughing carelessly, his blue eyes shining with mischief.

''Dale!'' I shrieked, looking at the damage. Thankfully I was still okay to go outside; the damage hadn't completely ruined my clothes.

''Y-your f-face! Ha ha ha ha!!!''

''Very funny!'' I snapped, ''I'm never saying hello to you again!''

''Well, I was the one who said hello, you didn't even bother to greet me.'' He commented after he was done laughing at me. I snorted,

''Is that your excuse, here I was thinking you have changed a bit.'' I muttered,