(17) Trevor Jackson

17. Trevor Jackson

Even if I ran all the way to Exspresso, I was still late. My lungs were on fire and I was panting heavily when I reached the door. I was so tired last night from studying that I had slept on my desk and forgot to turn on an alarm. Even mom didn't know I had to be here on weekends early in the morning. She was sleeping when I had scribbled a quick note and put it on her bed side table.

When I woke up this morning I was already late and had rushed in dressing up and leaving the house. I hadn't even checked what was in my bag, just grabbed it from my chair in rush.

The café door was open but a close sign was present. I was greeted with silence when I walked in. The tables and chairs were pushed towards the wall leaving the space bare and sunlight was streaming in from the windows on the side. The lights were turned off, this was Derrick saving electricity.

There were numerous cleaning tools as well, like a bucket filled with water and two mops, a broom and dusters. I went inside the kitchen to find it deserted as well. Where was everyone?

I set my bag down and saw that I was wrong and someone was working there. On the counter were several identical trays and a huge bowl of batter. I peeked in the bowl and realized it was a cupcake mixture. I was clueless when it came to cooking but I could tell from looking at it.

''Looks nice'' I whispered and whirled around and screamed, ''Ahhhh!!!!!!!!''

''What are you doing?'' Derrick snapped at me and I put a hand on my heart giving him a wide eyed look,

''H-h-h-ow?''

''What are you stuttering about? Get aside I have work to do.'' He grabbed my elbow and pulled me away, taking his place at the counter and began to mix the batter.

''You scared me! How can you sneak behind me like that?'' I demanded.

No answer.

''I am talking to you!''

No answer.

''Derrick!''

''Go and change into your uniform,'' he ordered, not looking away from his mixture, ''we have a lot of work to do.''

''Where's everyone else?'' I asked picking up my bag,

''Lily's cleaning the pantry. No one else will come until nine.'' I nearly dropped my bag again. He had called me here on purpose! He was just using me as a free labor!

''You called me at six in the morning to make me clean up for you?'' I asked remembering the mops and the broom outside.

''Yes and no. I did called you to clean. But now we have to deliver these cupcakes somewhere. It's a pretty big order and I don't want to mess it up.'' He replied smoothly, telling me about this order like I cared.

''This-''

''Stop ruining my mood and go change. I don't want to spoil my Saturday arguing with a klutz.'' I fumed. He dared call me a klutz? He was always coming up from behind me and scaring me! What would that make him? A creep? Ugh!

He had done a good job of ruining my Saturday though.

I changed into my uniform and heard noise coming from the pantry. Lillian was singing, I could tell because she always sang very loudly and had a terrible voice. I wanted to go over and say hello but held myself back. I could do without Derrick yelling at me. Since he was in such a good mood today. Eye roll. Apparently his equivalent of good mood was still being moody. Or working this early on Saturday morning.

Or he enjoyed torturing me.

''What do I need to do?'' I grumbled when I got back. He was putting butter paper on the trays, looking very focused.