(11) The word war

11.

''Trevor, it's been a while.'' Dale spoke in a cool voice, the joking tone that he always had. He was still holding my hand tightly, but I was standing behind him, as if he was shielding me from something.

From that guy. Trevor.

Trevor let out a howl like laughter, ''Oh yeah? I was thinking about the same thing. So I came to say hello,'' he looked at me and bent down a little, raising his hand and speaking in a ridiculously friendly voice, ''hello.''

Dale wasn't amused by that, while Trevor began to laugh again, Dale sighed impatiently,

''You can leave, right now its school hours. And we don't want to get into any sort of trouble.'' It was pretty obvious that Dale was trying to usher this guy away. But it was surprising that Dale knew him in the first place. He knew someone like him. Since when did he start hanging out with thugs?

My mind reeled. Was he involved in gang or something? Like it happens in romance novels? But Dale and the word gang didn't go together, for as long as I had known him, he avoided that kind of trouble.

''Cattermole, it's been a while. Don't be so cold.'' Trevor drawled in a silky voice, his eyes narrowed and a sharp grin playing on his face. He looked like a predator, ready to pounce on his prey and chew away every piece of it.

''Ally, you should leave now. I will right be there, okay?'' he said, turning his head a little and given me a stern look. Trevor's eyes flicked towards me again and I started backing away, knowing that this was no time to have a staring match with either of them.

I walked all the way up the road again but before turning back to the school, I leaned against the fence that connected the building with the child care home next to it. After witnessing this much, it wasn't possible for me to leave. I still didn't know who this Trevor guy was, but he sounded dangerous and scary. No way was I leaving him alone with Dale.

''Trevor, why are you here again?'' Dale asked him, and the reply wasn't instant.

''Don't worry; I didn't come to see you. You face is not that pretty,'' once again he laughed at his own joke, ''it's your buddy that I had to talk to today.'' Buddy? Which buddy?

''Lee has nothing to do with you.'' The more I listened, the harder it became to keep track of everything. Now why the hell was Lee Adams in the picture? What the hell was going on? It was a bad idea, I shouldn't have stayed. It wasn't good for me to get involved in these things. But Lee was my friend as well. Kind of.

''Cattermole, let me correct you,'' Trevor was not playing games anymore, he suddenly sounded serious. Threatening, ''I am not here to meet you. So leave before things get messy again. Don't you remember what happened last time? Wanna go through that all over again?''

''Piss off.'' Dale voice had transformed from being normal to a cold and angry one. The kind that sent chills down my spine. What was wrong with him? I stood rooted to my place, unable to move.

''You paid your debt already,'' Trevor said, ''but it's your friends turn now. Do you have an idea how much he owes me? And because of him, how much I owe the boss?''

''Stay away from Lee, or'' there were footsteps than a low voice, but still I could hear it clearly and soundly, ''I will kill you.''

My heart drummed in my chest, my brain was frizzy all over again. This was Dale? Why was he talking like this? Kill him? Did he really say that?

I couldn't move I held my breath, for the first time in my life; I was afraid of him.

Trevor's wild laugh rang in my ears, ''Kill me? Look at yourself punk! A liar like you shouldn't be going around making threats. Have you forgotten the time when you almost died?''