(10) Liars, thugs and all things wild

10.

''Ouch!'' My arm hit the gravel road, scratching the skin and my head spun violently as the pain began to register. I was aware of Derrick Carson lying right next to me, and the small crowd that had begun to gather.

When I opened my eyes, people were helping me and Derrick up while some were cursing at the motorbike driver who had hurriedly rushed away. Jerk.

Thankfully, both of us were still alive, thanks to my quick thinking. Though my bones were still intact, my arm was bleeding from the massive scratch. I winced in pain as someone pressed their hand near the wound. I looked up and found myself staring back at Derrick's dark green gaze.

''Its fine,'' he addressed the crowd, ''I'll take her home.'' Some people barely looked convinced, concern written over their faces,

''Are you sure honey? I have a car if you need to go to the hospital.'' A tall woman offered,

''No, I am fine. He's not really a stranger.'' Derrick kind of glared at me when I said that. Okay, whatever, the only reason I said so was to make the people disappear.

The woman gave me one last look and the crowd began to dissipate. I sighed heavily and began to blow lightly on my arm, it stung a lot though I didn't have any will or energy to go to the hospital.

''Who does that?'' I jumped as Derrick yelled in a harsh voice, whoa! That came out of nowhere! With slightly wide eyes and flushed face, he looked like he was going to burst from anger. I looked back at him with surprise.

''W-what?''

''You!'' he jabbed a finger in my direction, ''do you have any idea what could have happened?! What if he hit you? What if you got seriously injured?''

I opened my mouth but the incredulity of the situation prevented me to say anything, though Derrick was on it, he kept shouting in a way, even my dad had never shouted at me.

''don't you know how to walk on roads? And why the hell did you push me?''

This time, I was just as angry. First Dale and that horrible date and now Derrick's nonsense, I had enough of it tonight. Who do these people think they were?

''You were freaking walking like a blind man! Are you drunk or something?! I just saved your life!'' I snapped.

He snorted, putting a curly lock of his dark hair out of his forehead, ''Saving me? Do I look like a four-year kid to you? I know how to walk on roads.''

''Ha! You were about to get hit!'' We were standing very close to each other now, staring at each other with anger and breathing hard. My chest rose and fell and my arm throbbed, not to mention that my head felt like someone was cutting it open with a sharp edged knife.

''I walk on this road everyday on my way back to home from work! I know my way, I don't need newbies to come and save me! What the hell are you anyways? A superhero?''

''I-'' I paused, my retort was cut midway and my eyes widened. Derrick started yelling again but I wasn't paying attention anymore. My mind suddenly registered his words. And I backed away from him, holding a finger up and making him stop.

''What? Are you going to apologize now?'' He demanded, looking down upon me with disdain.

''W-what did you just said? Are you coming back from the café?'' He looked at me like I was mad, and maybe I was on a road right now.

''I need to know,'' I pressed. ''please tell me you were sick today and didn't go to the café.''

Derrick closed the distance between us and put his hand on my forehead, his hand was warm and he was looking at me with scurinity, making me feel baffled.