(16) Kind of, sort of

16.

I was sprawled on the rug in Carmen's room, painting my nails. Carmen was organizing her wardrobe and discarding clothes for the thrift store. I had asked her to give some to me instead.

''Skirts? You never wear skirts.'' She said, throwing two in my direction.

''I like them, but I don't wear them.''

''That's what I am saying! I mean, you have such a nice body and you should be more outgoing with your clothes.'' I clicked my tongue. Dressing up wasn't my forte. Carmen said I had zero sense in fashion, which was probably true. I hadn't told her that the idea of dressing up the way she asked me to made me nervous.

''Ally, you've got nice legs. Look at my body, its too big! I wish I was like my mum Ugh!'' She threw two shirts in my direction and I sighed, setting them aside. Carmen's insecurities always drove me crazy but I had learned that no matter how many times I tried to tell her she was beautiful the way she was, it never worked.

Like I was the one to talk! Just last week, mom had gotten me such nice clothes but I had thrown them at the back of my closet.

''What I'm trying to say is, you should show off that killer body! Boys will go crazy.''

''I will go crazy.'' I corrected her, putting the cap on her nail paint and getting up from my spot. I assessed myself in Carmen's mirror as she began to neatly hang her clothes back inside.

My sleeves were too big for me, they covered my arms till my wrists and I wore dullest of the dull colour. Still, this felt nice and comfortable which mattered the most.

''I don't have anything against dressing up, like Hayley does, or Lila, that girl from your Biology class. But I know if I suddenly start now, people are going to talk.''

Carmen rolled her eyes, ''Can't say I disagree, people do talk a lot.''

''I am scared of whispers and stares.'' I whispered to myself, holding the black miniskirt against my body and staring at my reflection.

''Did you say something?''

''No''

I began to help her as well. Unlike my closet, Carmen's was huge. She had a lot of clothes, and not just clothes but a whole collection of shoes and bags and accessories. We decided to arrange everything with colour and I suggested her to keep the shoes out of the closet instead of jamming everything inside.

''Hey, I totally forgot to ask! Why were you and Aiden together during lunch? I was passing the hallways with Lee and Daniel and we all saw you guys. You were smiling.''

I gave her a reassuring look, ''Just club stuff, nothing else.''

''I don't see him hanging out with our members from your club like that.'' I heard her mutter and suppressed a smile. I hadn't told them about out puppet show. Now that Mr. Chapel had approved of the idea, I and Aiden were working on the project. Two weeks were too less, so we had to meet more often that I thought.

Lillian knew though, but I had asked her not to tell anyone else. I was sure Dale wouldn't tell either. He maybe an asshole, but I had specifically requested Lillian and she had assured me no one outside the club would know.

The thing was, I wanted them give them a surprise. All three of them. Even my mom. I planned to tell them on the day of the show and invite them to come and see us personally. The thought made me excited.

With every passing meeting and conversation, I had gotten more comfortable with Aiden. I still kept my distance with him and made an excuse every time he tried to invite me to coffee, but I talked to him freely now.