(14) Waist deep in trouble

14.

I looked at the glass in horror and everyone else came in rushing. Shock registered on Mr. Cattermole's face and at this point I couldn't even speak. I rushed towards the glass when Dale grabbed me from my waist and pulled me back roughly, yelling in my ear.

''What are you doing? Its going to hurt you!''

''Ally! What happened?'' I mumbled apologies while everyone gathered around us, keeping me and Dale away from the glass.

''I'll clean this up...'' Addy muttered and rushed to the store room to get a broom.

''We heard voices,'' Mrs. Cattermole asked looking at both of us, ''how did this happen?''

''That's not important, we need to know if you got hurt.'' Mr. Cattermole looked at both of us,

''No'' Dale replied while I shook my head.

''But how did this break?'' Mom asked me,

''Ally threw the cushion at the thing and broke it.'' All of us looked up at Dale, his gaze was fixed on his father and my eyes widened in shock. He was lying, and he was lying with such a straight face. I did break the glass, but I had tried to hit Dale. He made it sound like I had aimed for Mr. Cattermole favorite and most expensive decoration piece and had ruined it in carelessness.

''What? Ally did?'' I lowered my eyes and my cheeks heated, the fact that every one's attention was on me didn't help.

Instead of telling the truth or saying that Dale was lying I hung my head low and stood up, ''I am so sorry, it's my fault.''

The next series of events were a blur. The dinner was ruined and I kept apologizing to Mr. Cattermole, being a good natured person he was, he kept brushing it. I knew that piece was very important for him and had cost him a lot and it made me feel very guilty. I was so ashamed in front of every one, I couldn't stop mumbling sorry.

When I was heading home with mom, walking slowly behind her, I couldn't help but think of Dale and his actions. He was the one that started the fight, I had no mood or intention to talk to him tonight but he had cornered me in the lounge. He had brought up Flynn and found another excuse to yell at me. And now this; a perfect lie to make me feel more guilty than I already was.

I was beyond hurt. Till now, I could only think he was capable of hating me, but now he had made it clear that he wanted to hurt me. In all possible ways. And he had succeeded in doing that.

''Its okay Ally,'' Mom tried to relax me when we got home, making me sit on the sofa and acting like I hadn't just broke something very important, ''I know you feel guilty-''

''It was really expensive,'' I whispered, more to myself, ''Daniel told me...''

''Its fine! I know it was expensive, but I already talked to them. I will pay them. In fact, we can go tomorrow-''

I was suddenly tired of this behavior and stood up abruptly, cutting her off,

''Mom, why wont you scold me? Why wont you yell at me?'' She looked taken aback for a second but recovered quickly, taking a step towards me,

''Ally-''

''You know I am wrong here. You should be upset with me, you should be yelling at me! You should be behaving like normal parents do!'' Frustrated, I backed away and ran a hand through my hair, ruining the style I had made for the dinner. The dinner that was ruined because of Dale. Because of me.