(15) Worst First Day

GUYS! We finally have a trailer for this story, made by lovely -DairyQueens-

I posted it so check it out!

15.

It wasn't until I got home that I began to realize I was walking on disaster road and was heading towards a pretty bad destination. Working at Expresso wasn't much of a shock. Working under Derrick Carson was something else. Firstly, that guy was too intimidating. Secondly, I didn't like how I kept running into him. Thirdly, He had seen me cry that day, in my weakest moment. He knew too much.

Before I could dial Lillian's number and say no to her, mom ambushed me with a cheerful look on her face. Her tone was dripping with relief.

''I heard from Lillian that you will be working at Expresso?'' I froze midway, the phone near my ear and lowered my hand,

''You know Mrs. Fisher?''

She beamed, ''Of course! I know the family well. Lillian had been around for a long time, she always comes to greet me when she visits Dale. That's how I began to meet her mother.'' If mom knew Mrs. Fisher, she knew Derrick's mom as well. Which meant she knew Derrick as well.

''D-do you also know her sister?''

She nodded clapping her hands together, ''Of course I know her. Ophelia's husband was our divorce lawyer.'' It was amazing that mom could talk about her divorce with such a gleeful expression on her face. It was crazy and unreal and I was so screwed. Derrick must know a lot about me then, and all this time I had assumed only I knew stuff about him. I was so stupid.

''They used to live in Yorkshire though. They moved after you left. That's when they started the café as well.'' That much I knew.

''I am thinking of refusing Lillian.''

Mom's eyes went wide like saucers, ''Ally are can't! I already talked to Diana about this. And where else will you find a job?''

Oh, so it was mom and Lillian both who had helped me get a job. Touche.

''I am not comfortable working there...'', came a weak beaten up reply from my side.

Mom wasn't impressed; she grabbed my shoulders and made me sit on the couch,

''Ally, I know you must be stressed about this experience. But I want you to trust me. You will enjoy working there. The money might be a bit less at the start, but I am sure you wouldn't mind...'' I stopped listening after that. I knew I was fighting an already lost battle here.

After mom left for hospital, I got a call from dad. This time, I answered,

''I heard you got a new job? What is this about?'' He asked me after we said our greetings. Dad's voice suddenly made me emotional. How long it had been since we talked?

''I broke Mr. Cattermole's important aircraft. And it was pretty expensive-''

''You should have told me, I would have paid him.'' He sounded upset. I sighed. He was just like mom, but I still wondered why he got separated from her.

''Mom already said the same thing. But I want to pay him back on my own.''

''I understand that Ally.'' A sigh and then silence. Great, it hadn't even been two month since I left and we had already ran out of stuff to talk to.

''Do you want to talk to Elizabeth? She's right here.''

''Oh, sure''

*                        *                               *                                 *