(8) We keep colliding

8.

The Cattermoles moved in Spence Jefferson when I was in first grade. I don't remember much about that day, except that mom was completely ecstatic that her best friends were going to live right next to her. Dad on the other was the sort who liked sharing people enthusiasm rather than having his own.

It wasn't the first time I met them, but it was definitely the first time we came to know each other up close.

I remember my first proper fight with Dale, the one that turned us into enemies first and started the never ending prank war that was responsible for a lot of damage in both households.

It was after a week since they arrived, Mom left the four of us in the local park. Addison who had never quite taken responsibility,  was oldest of us and in charge as well. She left us near the swings and went away to chat with her friend on phone. There were only two swings and Daniel occupied one. Which left me and Dale glaring at each other and daring to take the place.

"I'm a girl," I told him firmly that time, "you should let me take it first."

Dale and I launched into this very messy fight, spitting insults at each other and we were on the verge of pulling each other's hair out when his sister came back.

"Where's Daniel?" Addison demanded us and that's when we noticed that he was gone and the second swing was taken.

We spent the rest of that horrible afternoon searching Daniel, me and Dale blaming each other continuously.

We eventually found Daniel loitering around near the tuck shop, the problem was solved.

But Dale and I weren't done, we kept fighting each other after that, day after day, always ready to cut out each other's throat. Not literally.

When it came to Dale, my life would turn suddenly chaotic. Whether it was his attitude, my feelings or all the time we had spent together.

And it was already beginning.

On the first day of school, I was determined not to let anyone ruin things for me. It was one thing I had been looking foward to, since like forever and I had no intention to cross ways with Dale and let him do something again.

It wasn't so easy though.

I walked inside the building with Lee Adams, who was telling me about how he once met J.K. Rowling and got all his Harry Potter books signed.

"Really?" I raised my brow, impressed, "I've never gotten a chance."

"Ah," he replied, "that's a shame. A lot of writers come around in Brighton, you should accompany me sometime."

"Yeah, that would be cool."

"I would've loved getting Charles Dickens autograph, too bad that dude died."

I chuckled, "You like classics? I would've wanted to meet-"

"Jane Austen?" he guessed,

"How do you know?" I exclaimed,

Lee laughed, it was a good laughter, not the sort that mocked people, "Girls love Pride and Prejudice."

"And Mr. Darcy." I added,

"That's what I don't get, why him? Dude was whacked in the head."

"He was arrogant and handsome," I told him dreamily, "the guy everyone wanted chose the girl he had hated at first. He chose her and fell in love. Every girl wants a boy who looks her like she's the one."

He gave me an amused look, "It's funny, but if we reverse the case: let's say there is a girl that every guy wants but she likes this one guy - things get ugly."