(28) Letting, leaving

28.

The line cut off and I stared wide eyed at Dale, who looked back with shock. It was Derrick who shook me,

''His girlfriend? Are you sure its her?'' Beside me, Aiden looked like he wanted to throw up, a sick look was etched on his face and he was clutching at his hair, disbelieving.

''She was there the whole time.'' He muttered. Exactly my feelings.

''Lillian is inside isn't she?'' Trevor demanded, ''I think we need to rush to her instead of sulking!'' He was shouting now, and it was enough to make me gain my footing again, ''the line got cut as well!''

Dale dialed her number again and the frantic gaze in his eyes was enough to make us understand what was going on. Before anything, I was running straight inside the school building, turning towards the back where Dale and Lillian and opened the doors from.

''Lets split up!'' Dale announced, the rest was lost to me, the only thing that I could hear was the painfully loud beating of my heart and the chaotic state of my mind. Lillian's words and the cut off line kept replying in my mind and I couldn't keep myself from imagining the worst case scenario.

''There's no need, I can hear voices.'' We all paused near the hallways, which lead to the security quarter.

''Hall'' I muttered and entered the main hall which housed the reception and major offices. There was a staircase in the middle, which led up to the quarters and the archive rooms.
And as soon as he opened the door, I saw them and my heart lurched.

There they were; both of them.

''Stop!'' Hayley shrieked when she saw us entering, she had a firm hold around Lillian's neck and was holding her tightly against herself, standing right at the tip of the landing. Hayley was barely recognizable; her mascara was smeared beneath her wide and frantic eyes, her makeup was gone and her hair were left open, they framed around her face like a bush and I saw tear tracks on her cheeks.

We all halted out steps, looking at the scene and taking in the situation. I swallowed when I caught a bruise on Lillian's cheek and specks on blood on her hand.

Shit! Shit! Shit! I never thought or imagined that situation would escalate to something like this, something this dangerous. With horror I realized I had just told Carmen and the rest to keep the guard from calling anyone. No one knew we were inside, no one knew we were inside with a psychopath.

''It was you all along.'' Behind me Marley whispered and Hayley let out a bark like laughter, the sound echoed around us and Lillian whimpered as her hold tightened.

''Look who it is! Its my boyfriend's best friend. The Marley Carson. The runaway. The coward. The slut!''

''You-'' I stopped Derrick with a stern look. One move and things would end up messier than it already was.

''Of course it was me. Who else could have done it? But what did I do so wrong that you all were hellbent in finding me?'' She was whispering now, muttering, but her voice was clear to me. Then her eyes found mine, ''It was you right? The pest who wouldn't leave my Aiden alone? You orchestrated the whole thing didn't you?''

''Hayley...please let-''

''SHUT UP!'' She suddenly yelled, ''JUST SHUT UP!'' I took a deep breath, and exchanged a glance at Dale who was shaking with anger,

''It was me all along! Congrats for guessing! But I did it for love...is it a sin to protect those you love?'' She was asking Marley, her voice shook with every word, ''you and I were friends weren't we? We were both the nerds, but you were the only one he ever acknowledged.''