Preface

SNOW WHITE AND SEVEN DEVILS

PREFACE

My foul mood had nothing to do with moving countries to live with my mom - whom I hadn't had proper contact with since the last six years. Okay maybe it was a minor reason for the bitter taste in my mouth and the stiff expression painted on my face.

Awkward silence hung around us like a curtain during the car ride from the airport. I opened my mouth several times to attempt a decent conversation with her and after stealing some glances, I realized she was doing the same. Both of us failed miserably. The six years of silence was a great gap between us and none was willing to cross the bridge yet.

And mom wasn't the one to blame; in fact I was grateful that she decided to take me in after such a long time. Even though she was being really nice about it - nice, not normal, I still felt like I had imposed myself upon her. How would a woman react if her sixteen year old daughter who hadn't shown her face since forever  suddenly calls her and announces she wants to live with her now? I could only imagine her swearing out loud for three minutes flat after our phone conversation a month ago.

I didn't want to do it. I really didn't. Going back to London was a nightmare itself and at this moment while I sat stiff in the leather seat of mom's SUV I was regretting every second of it. I wanted to ask her to return to the airport and rush back to dad's place. If things were that easy, world peace would have been achieved a million times over.

Why did dad have to marry again? I kept asking myself the same question though the answer was quite obvious; he deserved to move on. Martha and her kids were really nice people and dad was happy with them, happier than I had ever seen him, but for me life wasn't the same.

Back there things had become complicated, despite everything I was envious of dad's new family, the way they were always laughing around while I sat mutely - the boring person that nobody wanted to talk to. I couldn't fit in, which was enough for me to drive myself out. I became an intruder in my own home.

And London...there were a million reasons why I dreaded coming back.

The friends I left willingly, the home to whom I feigned indifference, the way I treated mom and discarded that life away; it was eating me out.

And the reason that was nagging me the most was Dale Cattermole. Beautiful, handsome, full of life: Dale. We had a history, it wasn't anything complicated and I wasn't sure if he still remembered anything. We were just ten something year old, two silly kids with gaps in their teeth and legs filled with scratches.

The Cattermoles were our neighbors and we were very close to them. Mom and Mrs. Cattermole were best friends while dad and Mr. Cattermole used to work together in the same firm. They had three children; Addison was the eldest, followed by the twins; Dale and Daniel. Two opposite sides of the coin. The Cattermoles were family,  I grew up playing with the brothers. Whole Daniel and I got along well, Dale was different. Troublesome and mischievous.

And I had a crush on him, which he found out. Totally embarrassing...

I know it was just a childhood stupidity and nothing more, but I was really nervous about meeting him again. Would he be the same Dale? Would he be friendly with me? Or did he become a different person?

I was tempted to ask mom but my mouth was zipped and my voice had gotten lost in my throat, I could only manage awkward coughs and mutter few words.

I leaned my head against the window and did it too hard that I hit it, startling mom. I rubbed it while she glanced at me with amusement,

''Are you okay?''

''Fine, just nervous about everything.'' I admitted and stared absently at the familiar block. We were nearing our destination and my heart beat was becoming excruciatingly fast after every passing minute. My palms were clammy with sweat and I was looking everywhere at once until my neck hurt,

''Don't worry Ally, you'll be fine. Everyone is really excited to have you back, especially Daniel.'' My heart skipped a beat. She had mentioned Daniel but not Dale. Did it mean anything? Was he not waiting for me? Maybe he didn't care. Damn it! What was wrong with me? Where did that confidence from yesterday go?

''That's er...reassuring.'' I answered whilst fidgeting with the hem of my shirt. She didn't say anything else as we rounded to the corner. Things had changed a lot, we passed the park of Spence square where the view was now safely obscured by large tress on either side of the boundary, the church which had been renovated and painted in white, and the statue of Spence Jefferson had been created anew and looked more hideous than before. The faintly familiar rows of houses passed us in a blur and I counted till ten, closing my eyes.

...six...seven..eight...nine...

We were there. Why did I feel like I was outside gates of hell instead of the place I grew up?