(25) On the same road

25.

''Can you talk?'' It was the first thing the doctor asked me when I came to my senses. I woke up because of the pain in my stomach, or was it my chest? My mind was so hazy I couldn't figure out which part was hurting the most. The moment my eyes had fluttered open, I was greeted with antiseptic smell of the hospital room, where the lights were dimmed and I could hear a distant beeping somewhere.

After the pain, the second thing my mind registered was confusion, followed my wariness. Before I could rack my brains more, Lillian who was sleeping on the sofa had woken up and screamed my name loudly, before rushing out of the room, calling my mom.

After several minutes of lying there feeling airy, I was now surrounded by my parents, the doctor and the nurse.

''I think so.'' I croaked out and mom broke into sobs, leaving very awkward looking dad to wrap his arms around her in comfort. Speaking of dad, a part of me was swelled to see him there and the tears in his eyes made me cry a bit as well.

''Do you remember your name?'' The doctor asked me cautiously,

''Allyson...''

''Do you recognize these people?''

I looked at my parents again who were staring back at me with wide red eyes, ''Mom...dad...''

He didn't ask anything else and started discussing something with mom, I could barely understand the medical terminology they were using. Dad sat on the stool beside my bed and stroked my head.

''Are you okay?''

''My stomach hurts a bit.''

He nodded, ''The doctor says that you were saved from something worse. The car halted in time and the impact wasn't as bad as it could've been.'' I didn't know what worse could have happened, this already hurt like hell.

''Dad, can you get me some water?'' My throat was extremely dry and there was a bad taste in my mouth. Dad got up to get me water and my mind started to feel hazy again.

''It's the effect of the painkillers.'' Mom explained after the doctor left and I felt myself slowly slipping to unconsciousness again.

This happened again three times, I woke up and slept again, with the doctor hovering around me each time my eyes opened. Mom and Dad never left my side and I caught glimpses of Mrs. Cattermole and Dale as well.

The third day when I woke up I started to feel much better and my haziness was gone. My mind wasn't so clouded anymore and once again my parents were sat there, mom was feeding me soup that tasted surprisingly good.

''Derrick and his mom brought this,'' she told me when she noticed my expressions, ''they've been bringing food for everyone else as well. I told them that there's a cafeteria here but they insisted.''

''It's fine, I like this better.''

Dad who sat on the sofa beside the window was listening to our conversation quietly, while checking something on his phone.

''Mom, did Derrick came by?''

She nodded, ''Several times. He was the one who brought you to the hospital in the first place and he's coming here since then.''

Suddenly I dropped my spoon, ''How long has it been?''

Mom answered glumly, ''Four days. When they first brought you in, you looked really bad. But thank God there was little to no damage on your head, since you fell on your stomach first. And no need to worry, your organs are safe.'' The last part meant to make me laugh,