Chapter forty six - The talk.

It was another, tedious day in 221b. I sat on Johns old armchair, looking after Amelia while Sherlock watched Jeremy Kyle in the background, occasionally yelling his valid deductions at the TV every now and again. It had only been a day since John had the operation, and Sherlock spent the night with him last night in case he woke up while me and Mary went home to look after Aemlia. I would have stayed with Sherlock and John, but it was obvious Mary needed a friend with her, so I went with her.

Chester rests his head on my knee in boredom, staring at me with his big, puppy eyes, begging me for attention. I smile and scratch under his chin, looking at Amelia as she giggled and reached for Chester. She absolutely loved Chester, she mainly ignored me when she came over to visit and paid most of her attention to Chester. Amelia was sat on my lap while my arms wrapped around her for support. Her sandy blond hair was a mess as she only just woke up and she was still in her pepper pig pyjamas. Chester licks her hand and she giggles, wiping her wet hand on my knee.

"Eww," I joke, giving her a look, "don't wipe it on me!"

She laughs again, her cute, chubby cheeks standing out when she opens her mouth to smile. She was adorable. 

"What! Dave is the father, not Luke! They must have got the test wrong, this is outrageous!"

"Chill out will you?" I say, looking at Sherlock and raising my eyebrow. I couldn't understand how someone could get so upset over Jeremy Kyle. 

I mean, I know I get upset over fictional characters, but Christ, this is Jeremy Kyle we're talking about.

"Leave me alone and get back to sitting on babies." Sherlock flails his hand in the air at me, his gaze fixed on the TV as he continues to watch it. I roll my eyes and turn my attention back to Amelia and Chester. I hear a floor bored begin to creek and look up, seeing Billy walking out of his room with messy hair and tired eyes. He yawns, going into the kitchen and putting the kettle on. I actually liked Billy, he was an okay guy. But I still found it odd that he lived here with us. Sherlock said he needed him to help us on cases, but he rarely helps. And sure, we've turned him into a bit of a slave, but I think it's time I had a word with Sherlock about letting Billy become more independent. 

I picked Amelia up off my lap and held her, standing up and quickly walking over to Sherlock who was still gawking at the TV like he was going to yell at it again. I sit next to him on the sofa, he was still wearing his clothes from yesterday- either feeling too lazy to change or knows that we would be going back to see John again later.

"Sherlock," I start, placing Amelia on my lap and bouncing her slightly to keep her entertained, although she was pretty much entertained when Chester followed us and started licking Amelia's hands again. 

"Hmm?" Sherlock mumbles back, still watching the TV. 

"Don't you think it's time we tell Billy to get his own place?" 

"That's nice." He comments, proving to me that he wasn't even listening. I reach my arm up and playfully slap him at the back of his head, causing him to look away from the TV to give me a look.

"What was that for?!"

"For ignoring me!"

"I heard you!"

"What did I say then?"

"...Something about Castiel?"

I furrow my brows and reach up to slap his head again, and he's ducks in attempt to miss my hand but my hand connects with the back of his curly head anyway "No, dumbass. I was talking about Billy."

"What about Billy?" He questions, rubbing the back of his head, being careful not to look at the TV in case I slapped him again.

"Don't you think it's time for him to get his own flat?"

"He's jobless, has no money and only recently got off drugs at the start of the year. You want him to leave?"

"Don't make me feel bad," I exhale, my voice low in case Billy heard us from the kitchen as he made himself a bowl of sugar puffs, "I'm sure we can offer him a job. He loves Chester, I may be kind enough to let him keep him."

"What job can we offer him that Mrs Hudson hasn't already taken?" Sherlock asks, as if the idea was ridiculous. I pause, trying to think of another suggestion but non came to me.

"Look, it's nearly Christmas. We could find him a place and give the landlord the first payment for him, but don't you think it would be nice if we could live together?"

"We are living together."

"No, I mean- you know... more privately?"

Sherlock looks at me with confusion, not understanding what I meant. I sigh and shake head, then Billy walks into the room with a bowl of sugar puffs in his hands and a cup of tea. Once Billy sat down comfortably and placed his cup of tea on the coffee table I nudged Sherlock's side, telling him to say something as I was too polite to broach the subject to him.

Sherlock lets out a cough, then just bluntly comes out with it, "So have you ever thought about leaving?"

Billy look's at Sherlock with confusion. He swallows his mouth of sugar puffs loudly before replying, "Why would I want to?"

"Oh, I don't know..." Sherlock shrugs casually, "Maybe consider the fact that Holland feels the need for you to become more independent."

"Sherlock." I hiss, slapping the back of his head once more. He lets out an 'ow' noise, and I turn to face Billy, who was looking at me like a sad puppy. "Look, I like you being here, but don't you think it's time you found a place? You can stay until Christmas if you want, and we can help you find a place and help you find a job, and I'm willing to give you Chester if it will make you happy..." I tell him politely. He was the one that often walked Chester and gave him the attention that I couldn't. It would only be fair.

"I guess I could ask Daisy if I could hang out with her for a while..."

"Who's that?" Sherlock cuts in rudely, and I was shocked that he was still with Daisy. 

"Are you dating?"

"Yeah."

"You have a girlfriend?" Sherlock asks in disbelief. I nudge his side, telling him to stop being so rude.

"Can I still take Chester?"

I look down at my friend, who was still making Amelia laugh. Amelia fussed with his ears and giggled with joy as Chester fell onto the floor for his tummy for be scratched. I frown, "Um... I'll think about it."

I knew Billy would take care of Chester, I had no doubt about that. I would just really miss him. I'd miss Billy's company as well of course, but having Chester around has always made me feel happier when I needed it. It would probably be best if I gave Chester to Billy, but as I said- I'd think about it.

A loud, ringing noise causes our conversation to come to an end. Amelia stops giggling as she looks around with curiosity for the sound, and Sherlock stands up and reaches for his phone, answering it almost immediately. 

"Yes?" Sherlock answers. I knew Sherlock knew who was calling as he didn't ask to know who it was, or he didn't say hello. "Great, I'll tell the others!" He beams, pressing 'end' on his mobile. He then stares at me, Billy and Amelia, a small smile tugging at the side of his lips as he let's the words tumble out of his mouth:

"John's awake."