Chapter fifty nine - A deal with the devil.

I felt awful. There was a dreadful, sick feeling in the pit of my stomach that wouldn't vanish. I had gotten ready for my date with Sherlock. Adding a light bit of make-up, adding a few loose curls, wearing that cute, light blue dress Mary had gotten me last Christmas. I wasn't sure on how long this meeting with Moriarty would last, but I was hoping it'd be as short as last time. I was hoping that I could still meet Sherlock at the restaurant. But for some reason a part of me screamed that I wouldn't be the same person after today. Moriarty didn't just arrange to meet up with me for no reason. This wasn't anything good, and it definitely wouldn't end good.

I entered the building, and immediately a colder draft hit my exposed flesh sharply more than it did when I was actually outside. It's funny how when you're alone in the dark, everything seems to be a little bit more than it really is, sounds are a louder, shapes are bigger, and everything is a hell of a lot scarier. Everything seems to be more, everything except for you. I didn't realize how small I was until I was surrounded by darkness. Here I was, alone in the abandoned building to meet a complete psychopath, with a few highly-trained gun men at his disposal.

I glanced around the room nervously, just waiting for him to pop out of the shadows. "Hello?" I called into the dark cautiously, breaking the eerie silence enveloping the building. "Look, I'm here, so will you come out already?"

"Well, you could've let me have my dramatic entrance." A familiar, soft voice said dryly, walking into the clearing with his hands in his trouser pockets.

"Sorry, next time a psycho killer asks me out I'll know better." I muttered sarcastically; it was easier to pretend that Moriarty didn't affect me. Even though I was pretty sure we both knew that I was scared out of my mind.

He clicked his tongue, tutting "You really need to learn to mind your manners; someday that attitude is going to get you into trouble." He chided, narrowing his eyes at me as he walked forward towards me.

"Why did you ask me to meet you here?" I asked, before he could continue his little banter. He puffed up his cheeks and then blew them out, rolling his eyes.

"Well, I guess you're not too fond of foreplay, all business with you. To answer your question, I was bored and don't tell the others, but..." He trailed off, leaning in like he was going to tell me a big secret, "You're my favourite." He whispered in my ear. I shivered as I felt his warm breath on my neck, and it wasn't in the good way. I jerked away quickly.

"If you're really bored, there are some puppies down the street that need drowning." I spat out angrily.

He raised his hands in surrender, "Alright, no need to get nasty. I came because I need to have a much needed talk with you."

I crossed my arms. "So talk."

"Why haven't you told anyone about our little meeting? I didn't tell you not to, I kind of expected your friends to barge in by now."

"I-I don't..." I stuttered for words, unsure on what answer to give him. He had a good point, but that isn't what he wanted to talk about. I stood up straighter. "What do you want?"

"You." He answered simply. I paused, furrowing my brows with confusion. "You're my favourite. And Sebastian has taken some sort of a liking towards you, anyhow."

I continued to stare at him, still unsure. He couldn't have possibly called me here just because he wanted me. I was nothing special. There had to be something to it. He sighed when I didn't respond.

"As I said before, I'm a busy man. Since my return was made public I've had a lot of business to deal with, and a lot of clients. I can't do all of that and hurt Sherlock. I need to sort my work out first."

For some reason that calmed me, and my face lit up. "You mean you want to negotiate again?" I wondered, feeling hopeful that he would leave Sherlock alone. Even if it was just for a while, it'd give us a chance to plan something out.

"No." He said flatly, and my face fell. "Well, kind of... You see, I still want to make him suffer."

"You've lost me." I admitted. I wish he would just get to the point.

"I want you to come with me. As a hostage, I suppose. Depends on how you see it. I won't hurt you if you behave. It's just that, well, I know that Sherlock cares for you. You come with me now whilst I get my business under control, and Sherlock will suffer in the mean time because you would have disappeared. Makes sense, darling?"

I fiddled with my fingers nervously and shook my head. "I'm not going with you."

"I could always just shoot you here and let them find your body. And then continue to make him suffer by shooting the landlord, and then John, and--"

"So if I come," I began, cutting him off, "You'll leave everyone alone?"

"For a while, whilst I sort my business out. Are you not paying attention?"

I fell silent. I knew this wouldn't end good. He'd probably kill me in the end once he was done with his business. But if that was the case, why wouldn't he just shoot me now? Kill me and hide my body so that no one would find it, make Sherlock suffer like that. I couldn't help but to feel like there was something Moriarty was hiding from me, but then again I knew he wouldn't just openly tell me about it. Either way, I wasn't going to make it to my date tonight. I was either going to die here, or leave with Moriarty.

But if I left with Moriarty, maybe I could find his weaknesses. Find them and then escape, and tell Sherlock everything.

"I haven't got all day. Have we got a deal?"

I was snapped out of my thoughts by him speaking. I met his cold glare and gulped slightly. I didn't see any other way out of this, and I could only think about the positives. I would find his weaknesses, and I would discover what he had planned. And I would tell Sherlock about them.

I nodded my head slowly, before quietly letting out the words he wanted to hear. "You have a deal."