Chapter 10: Winter Flower

*2 months later*

Syrahbi Allure Smith
Brooklyn, New York

"Hiiii Ms.Rahbi" one of my students said as I walked in my meeting room. Before leaving LA I got acquainted with some people in power who loved what I was bringing to the table. "hey cyn" I said with a smile on my face.

It's been two months since I'd spoken to or seen Jackson, honestly? I missed him, the him before the drama. But I'm not about to let anybody "flex" on me ok, I was wrapped up in thought as I sat down at my desk.

"Ms.Rahbi" I heard one of my students, breaking me out of my thoughts "Yes Amani?" I asked looking in her direction.

"How was the trip?" She asked smiling "me and my mama watched you on tv, it was fire no cap" she said making everyone laugh and agree

I set up this program to reach the youths from 10-19 years old. I felt like I could really get to them and offer a positive roll model all while allowing them to keep it real, and not be afraid of the nitty gritty.

"Honestly, things took a turn for the worst before they even got better basically as soon as the damn trip started" I began realizing none of the younger kids were here today, I gave the older teens the opportunity to be real and speak how they would with their friends, they have enough respect for me to keep it classy.

"Do you mind telling us?" Amani asked as she held her head up on her fist. "No, I don't mind" I said as I smiled at her. "Wellll I heard, you was fucking with 40" one of my kids Dapri said laughing with the boys in the class "I got dreads too Ms.Rahbi, why you don't like me" another one of my students dragged huffing around the class making me bust out laughing "sit y'all asses down" I laughed "yes, me and 40 cool. we talk to each other, it's a nice vibe" I said summing up to my nosey students.

"What happened to jackson?" Lala asked, she was my oldest female student, she was 19 and really was going through stuff at home. Over the last few months I've connected with her and her mother enough to be helping her reach the next steps in her life.

"Honestly" I started as I felt my face getting hot. "He um, he was cheating on me. for a while I guess and the girl got pregnant" I said hearing sad awes from my students as I chuckled lightly, they are truly what I wish my kids would be like. I've had a rough beginning with all of them except about half of my class, but now we shared something special.

"She decided to make it known to me the morning OF my flight" I said "and it ruined my mood honestly, but I had to realize I let him do enough to me so that was my last straw" I finished

"And that's on PERIODTT" Teyani yelled making everyone laugh.

"So how did you come back talking to 40?" Amani asked with her eyes glued to me, I loved talking to my students when it was just the older kids and having mature conversations. Because in more than one way the whole room can relate to a problem.

"Well damn, y'all want to know everything" I said laughing. "Basically we come from the same hood, our families have some history so we go way back" I said thinking back to all of our old days on the block.

"And my sister and cousin invited him out to LA with us around the same time the whole situation with Jackson happened" I started "and I guess he really must've wanted to talk to me because he flew out fast as hell" I finished laughing lightly.