Tanjiro X reader (Angst)

Requested by The_Moon_Pillar

>>><<<

Tanjiro's POV
How did this happen?

How did she die so easily?

She was so strong

But now she's asleep

And won't wake up

Why didn't giyu come sooner...

Why wasn't I strong enough?

Why did she ask me to smile.

How could I smile when she died in my arms?

-+-+-+-

"Honestly Tanjiro you should have more faith in me." (Y/n) said before putting up the remaining demonslayers. I gave her a light smile, I would say her confident will be the death if her but she's too strong for that. She had her eyes closed and arms behind her head.

She peaked out an eye seeing as I didn't respond. "Huh? Do I got something in my face?" She asked before wiping her face vigorously. I shook my head chuckling, "sorry (y/n), just got lost..." in your eyes.. "...in the moment thats all." I gave her a reassuring smile. She only shook her head at me, "ne, Tanjiro you can't get distracted like that. You're gonna risk your life..." a smile made its way to her face as she pointed a thumb at herself, "and I'll be the one to save you!"

I only laughed at her response which made her pout, "h-hey! Don't laugh at me! I will protect you Tanjiro! Just you wait!!"

Insuke huffed, "I CAN PROTECT THE BOTH YOU EASILY!"

I should've taken you more seriously....you actually meant it...

The demon showed us his eyes that showed his rank. "Now hand over the girls." He ordered. I shook my head, "I won't—" (y/n) Interrupted me, "eat shit. Your rank doesn't scare anyone! I could take on 5 of ya at the same time!" My fear for what would happen to us disappeared. Her confidence never failed to bring a smile to my face.

"I know." The demon said turning away from her, "I can see your strength. But him...he won't be able to kill me." Before anyone could say anything else he sent out his web towards me, it was no longer white but blood red. I stood in shock and fear only to snap out of it by (y/n). "Wake up Tanjiro!" She said as she cut the webs easily. Only another rush of webs headed towards us. I couldn't force myself to move making (y/n) push me out the way.

She took the hit head on. She held her neck as she fell to the floor. "(Y-y/n)!" I yelled as I rushed over to her side. Her neck was bleeding fast. She was getting more and more pale by the second. "Hey...smile for me..." She pleaded. I only started to tear up, more and more by the second.

She opened her mouth and gave me a frown, "why.....why aren't you smiling?" She asked. "How could I smile when you might die?" I asked. "Because....your smile is so bright....like fire....it warms me up." tears pricked her eyes, "I'm cold....I'm...im cold Tanjiro..."

"I know..." I whispered, I tried to force myself to smile for her. "That's not right...." she coughed up blood. "Your eyes....they're so sad..." her eyes started to lose focus, you could see the life flicker in her eyes with each passing breath.

"Please smile for me Tanjiro."