Chapter 49

Hi everyone! So excited to update this story. I've been thinking of changing the cover of the book, what do you think? Let me know if you can help me out or know of someone who can. Also, I'm thinking to start an imagines book about other fandoms, what do you think?

And there I was, riding alongside Ben and Hal towards Charleston. It was awkward, definitely, but there was a genuine peace that surrounded us knowing we were all safe and together. I was so glad to be there, not having to worry about surviving for some minutes, but a tingle sensation was present inside of me. It was kind of nerve-wracking knowing that in a few I was going on my first mission, but I was ready. At least I felt ready.

My fingers fidgeted and my body shifted on my seat. Ben gave me a small smile, he knew exactly how I felt. Hal's eyes were also on me, but I didn't give it much thought. We cared so much for each other, but was it enough during these times?

A few minutes went by until finally, we got to Charleston through the underground parking. Finally, home again.

Ben got out first and then me. As soon as I got out, I was tacked in a hug, it was Anne who had her arms around me tightly.

"How have you been?" She said with slight concern in her sweet voice, brushing some hair strands out of my face.

"Well..." I looked at Hal who walked passed and moved towards Maggie. "I miss you all very much," I said lowering my voice.

"Oh hun." Anne hugged me once again and whispered in my ear, "We miss you too, especially him. You know that."

I looked into her brown eyes for a few seconds, they were so trustful and calming.

"Emily, can you keep a secret?" She said in a whisper.

I nodded with a grin.

"I'm pregnant." She closed her eyes and waited for my reactions.

It was a shock, no one saw it coming, but it was good news. Although we were at war it was a hint of hope and light in a dark tunnel. Of course it would be hard raising a kid in the situation the world was currently in, but it was beautiful.

"Oh my gosh! Congrats!"

"I know it's unexpected, but I don't know-" Of course we weren't actually family, but it felt like it.

"You're gonna be an aunt, you're family."

"It's great, you're gonna be a great mom, and Tom is a great dad. It's gonna work out perfectly, you'll see."

Anne smiled and nodded. "Thank you, Emily."

"Of course."

"I assume you're coming to the mission, you being a rebel and all," She said as we walked a little further from the group.

I lowered my head and chucked. "You must be the only one, no ones really thinks I should go, even Tom seemed reserved about it."

"Don't pay them any attention, do what you feel is right." She stopped and gave me a reassuring smile.

"Thanks Anne, I will," I said more confident than before and continued walking on my own.

I checked my watch, it was before dawn. My siblings would probably be asleep and I hadn't much time to go and say hi for a few minutes.

I sighed a few meters from me was Dai.

He smiled and waved. "Hey! Emily, it's you!"

"The one and only." I chucked.

"You should gear up, we're leaving any minute now." He carried guns, backpacks, and a bunch of explosives.

I gave him a quick nod and started grabbing all kinds of stuff.

"First mission eh, you nervous?"

"Kinda." I looked at his smirk, "Okay I'm pretty nervous."

"It's okay, don't worry I'll have your back every step of the way."

"Thanks, Dai, I needed to hear that."
It was good knowing I wasn't alone and that although Dai trusted me, he was going to look after me. I saw me as a fellow soldier who was his friend and we had each other's back.

"Alright move it!" Captain Weaver shouted and everyone hurried up to finish packing everything needed for the mission.

It was loud and everyone around me ran from one place to another with guns. It was an overwhelming feeling being in the middle of all that, not knowing if we were going to complete the mission or if we would even get out alive, but it needed to be done and I wanted to be part of that.

Tight spaces were never my thing, especially having to go through a thin space between mossy rock walls in the dark, but nevertheless there I was. We moved through a wet cave, following Ben's direction. I was far behind, staying alert for any sensation that something was going wrong. I took each step with determination, trying not to show my uncertainty in my actions.

As I was going through a narrow area, my feet missed a step and I felt my heart drop. I was about to fall, but the person behind me easily caught me.

"Got you."

"Thanks." I took a deep breath and turned towards him, "Hal, if we don't get out of here, I just wanted to say-"

"Don't, we are getting out of here, we always do," He said, but I knew he was saying to convince himself too.

It all hit me at once. I was so scared, it wasn't something I wanted to admit it to myself, but I feared the worst. I didn't want to die without him knowing I loved him. Maybe my responses were influenced by fear, but I didn't care. I knew I loved him and that he loved me and at that instant it was all it mattered because we could die in the following minutes. At that moment I knew it was actually enough for us, even during these times.

"I know but-"
"We will-"

I cut him off and grabbed him by his shirt and pulled him closer. I crashed my lips against his. At first he didn't move, but he soon reacted. It was quick but needy. It was perfect, we were ready for whatever it happened because we were together.

I pulled away and smiled at him, who still had a speechless expression on his face.

"We will."

Hal smiled and kissed my forehead.

I didn't know what we would do after the mission and I kept pushing those thoughts to the back of my mind.

Once we got in, Captain Weaver spoke. "You take Ben, Emily, Hal, Maggie, Anne, and Dai to the left. The rest of you will come with me to the right. We will meet at the cave entrance and blow this whole thing up."

"With me, let's go," Tom said.

We began moving, I passed Dai and he gave me a quick nod, reassuring me he was there for me.
While the others placed explosives all around I kept walking with Ben and Tom.
"It's pointing up to the sky," Tom mentioned while looking that the massive weapon Skitters had constructed.

"I know," said Ben simply.

"Why? They already whipped up the air force."

"It wasn't meant for humans," I answered and tightened the grip in my gun.

A sudden charge of electricity rushed through me and it was right then when I knew we weren't going to get out so easily.

"Skitters!" Ben and I yelled in unison.

Dont forget to vote and comment!

If the Sky Falls ➳ Hal MasonOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara