Chapter 26

Hi! I'm so sorry I haven't uploaded a chapter in a while. I had been studying for the past two weeks for my tests and I have been very busy. Also, I had to rewrite this chapter at least three times because I was just blocked and could't find the right way to write this chapter. I think I'll update again this week, but I'm not really sure. I know that by the end of the chapter you'll have a bunch of questions, but they will be answered in next chapter. Hope you enjoy it!

*Flashback/Dream* (Before the Second Mass)

It was a calm night, no Skitters or those enormous Mechs were seen through the area. The sky was pitch black and the stars above me were the only light for me to see the way.

The sound of footsteps made me jump and turned around. Avery was there, following me around like she always did.

I sighed, "What are you doing here?"

"I wanted to come with you," She said quietly.

"I told you to stay with mom and dad, I was just going a little farther to go to the bathroom."

"I know, but I didn't want to leave you alone."

"I'll be fine, go back to the group," I turned on my heels and start walking on the opposite direction.

Branches and leaves crushed under my shoes as I walked away, trying to get farther enough for no one to hear me.

"Emily!"

That scream made my whole body shiver from head to toes.

I ran and ran, telling my brain if I didn't move fast enough something bad would happen to my little sister.

It was all my fault. If I hadn't left her to walk all alone back to where the others were, nothing would have happened.

My feet suddenly stopped next to my sister. Avery was frozen on the spot and a Mech was a few meters before us. Avery's eyes were on the mech, not moving to look at me.

The machine took one step forward. Without a second doubt, I moved closer. My body stood in front of hers, doing the best I could to protect her.

The Mech pointed at me and before something could happen I whispered, "Run."

As soon as I finished speaking, everything became black.

*End dream*

"Emily?" I heard a voice, but I couldn't find the source if it, "Hey, are you alright?"

My body was being shaken, but I couldn't make myself wake up from that terrible nightmare. I could feel my body burning, but I couldn't open my eyes.

"Emily!"

I finally forced myself to open them and found Ben. I could feel water on my cheeks and just them realized I was crying. Sweat was all over my face because of my high temperature.

I was laying in a bed inside the medbus, like I always did each time we moved from place to place. The bud wasn't moving and I supposed we were doing a little stop before continuing. We hadn't found a good place to settle since the aircraft.

"What's wrong?" Ben asked with a tone of concern on his voice.

I threw myself over him, that was all I could do. I needed to feel protected and that was the only way I could, even though I needed to close my eyes and imagine it was Hal the one with his strong arms around my body.

"Shhh-shhh, everything's fine," Ben patted my back as I cried some more.

"I-I'm sorry, I don't know what happened," I said after a few minutes of me sobbing against his chest.