Chapter 24

This chapter is for not updating two weeks ago. I hope you like it! 

 A drop of sweat moved down my forehead. My legs began to shake, but I tried my best to keep steady, not wanting to make any sudden movements. A stinky smell filled my nose, it smelled like a rat had peed all over itself. I soon realized Pope was a few inches next to me and he was the one emanating that terrible scent. I couldn't die this horrible way.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you. Em is a nice and attractive young lady, she has a long future ahead of her," Pope talked after a couple seconds.

I dared to open my eyes and what I saw made me gasped even harder for air.  Weaver and Hal were standing firmly and ready to shoot Pope with their guns. Hal's face was red and he looked like was about to explode, while Weaver was calm yet steady.

"Hal!" I screamed and tried to get out of Pope's grip, but he was faster and placed his stinky hand over my mouth.

"Her name is Emily," Hal said between his teeth, rage taking power over him.

"Emily... Huh, nice name," Pope laughed and continued, "Neither of you has a clear shot and you know it, so why don't we-"

"I have a good shot," Anthony's voice could be heard from behind us.

Thank god!  

"Anthony, you're a disappointment, I thought I was having a positive influence on you." 

After Pope spoke, he let me go.   

Hal was still pointing at Pope, but Weaver lowered Hal's gun and walked towards him.

I tried to recover my breath as I walked towards Hal, tripping with my own feet. 

My first instinct was to hug him, I didn't care if someone saw us. I was scared and I needed him, I needed him to hold me and whisper to my ear that everything was going to be fine. 

Hal hold me in his arms and all I could do was cry, I needed to get it out and he was the only one I could do it with.

"I got you, I got you, ..." Hal repeated again and again while I sobbed against his chest.

______

After my... episode, we were giving the news we were going to move and cross the bridge. I had to pack our belongings and get Colton and Avery ready for the ride. 

As Colton and I walked around looking for our ride, Colton pushed me gently to my side. 

"Yes, Colton?"

"Can I have a piggy-back ride? Pleeease!"

I chuckled and kissed his head. I was about to get him up, but something made me stop.

Not far from where I was, Hal was walking side by side with Maggie. He looked so happy with her, he laughed so hard with her. Maggie was strong and defend others, I couldn't even defend myself. 

Does he like to hang with me as much as he does with Maggie? Does Hal laugh more with her? She is very pretty, does he think she's prettier than me?   Does he think I'm useless?

"Em? Are you okay?"

"Uh? What?" I moved my gaze away and focus on Colton.

I don't have time to think these simple things. I'm not in high school, I don't get to think these nonsenses over the necessities of my family - I answered my own questions.

Colton extended his arms and smiled. 

His little and innocent smile makes everything better - I thought.