Chapter 2

Edited, again

      AlI could hear was the sound of dry leaves crushing as someone stood over them again and again. A light breeze caressed my face, feeling just like a rose petal against my skin. I knew I needed to open my eyes, but the warm and homey feeling surrounding me was too strong to fight.

     After a few seconds, I forced myself to open my eyes. The thought of Avery and Colton being scared and all alone gave me some strength to battle back. With my vision still blurry, I managed to spot a face. The man was looking straight ahead with his eyebrows slightly together and a stern expression. I felt as his arms tensed under my body, and then I realized the mysterious man was carrying me in his arms.

     My vision moved with each step he took, which made it even harder to see him, but I saw his brown eyes looking down at me. They were huge and hinted a inquisitive vibe about him. He sighed and smiled when he saw me awake.

     My throat was dry, but I still tried my best to talk.

     Still, expectantly, no full sentence came out, so I did the next best possible thing.

     "S-siblings."

     "They're in good hands, they'll be very well taken care of," The unknown guy said with a smile, "Don't you worry about it, just rest."

     Knowing Avery and Colton would be protected, all I could think about was sleeping.

     I found myself laying on a bed with a partial headache drowning my thoughts.

     Instinctively, my hand moved up to my head, only to find it covered in bandages. Under the warm and soft blankets, I was still wearing the same filthy clothes that I had worn for the past few days.

     As I sat up straight on the bed, my eyes began scanning the room. It looked like I was in a chemistry classroom with chalkboards, several science graphics, and experiment tables. The only difference was that instead of chairs there were empty beds, the chalkboards were full of drawings, and the wooden furniture was filled with medical supplies instead of books and chemical materials.

      As I stared at the colorful drawing on the board, sounding steps filled the classroom.

     I had too many questions and the best way to get answers was to stay still and wait for someone, hoping they wouldn't kill me on the spot.

      After a few moments, a woman entered the room. Her dark brown hair fell over her face as she looked down at the papers she was carrying.

      "Umm, hi?" I said, trying to get her attention, which I got.

     She stopped reading her writings and her weary brown eyes looked straight at me.

     "Where am I?"

      "Hi, I'm Dr. Glass," she replied, "You're with the Second Mass, we call ourselves that. We're kind of a resistance group with soldiers, but also civilians."

      I nodded and introduced myself, "My name is Emily Herminosity, nice to meet you."

     She seemed nice enough, but trusting strangers wasn't a mistake I would make twice.

     Dr. Glass nodded with a smile and talked while adjusting her white coat, "How are you feeling?"

      "I think I'm good, my head just hurts a little."

      "Oh, that's completely normal, it will hurt for a few days."

      I nodded in understanding.