Chapter 36

The tall trees hid the bright sunshine from our path. The fresh breeze that blew my blonde hair and the engine of the motorcycle made it even a more enjoyable ride.  

I closed my eyes as I grinned to myself and let go of Hal's waist. My arms extended over my body and I giggled quietly. The wind moving through my face and fingers, and the feeling of freedom were two of my favorite things in the whole world.

A chuckle was heard, followed by a warm voice, "What do you think you're doing?"

Hal kept driving his bike, but I could swear he was paying more attention to me with his side mirrors, than the road.

"Enjoying life! You should try it, it's nice to forget about everything for a change," I screamed, fighting with the rapid wind so Hal could hear my voice.

"Maybe I'll try it later," Hal responded with amusement.

A few more minutes passed until we finally arrived at the hospital. People were moving around more than usual and I saw Weaver approaching Tom, who was a few meters from us in the truck.

Without a warning, Hal stopped the motorcycle. Unconsciously, my arms tightened around his wrist and I could hear his mocking laugh.

"What was that?" I asked as I punched his back playfully.

"I don't know, I guess I just missed your warm hands around my body."

A smile formed on my face and I could feel the redness taking over my cheeks. 

I got off Hal's bike, but as soon as I did, I heard Hal's voice.

"Where're you going?"

I kissed his cold cheek quickly, "I need to find them, Hal, something isn't right." 

After saying those simple words, I turned around and ran towards the hospital.

As my feet step on the last stair, I heard a voice that made me turn on my heels.

"Emily!" Ben called as he came running from his truck.

"Do you know what's going on?" 

"They found us. Karen brought them here and all because of me," Ben said in a low tone as he held his head in his hands. 

Actually, it was true, but I knew that rubbing it in his face was going to do no good.

"Ben, she fooled everyone. It's not your fault," I said.

My hand moved up to his, but as soon as we touched he moved his hand away from mine. 

"It is," He sighed in defeat, "I knew they were coming for me, it isn't safe for the Second Mass to have me around."

"Y-you can't leave. What about your siblings and Tom? What about me? Are you just gonna leave me behind after all we have been through?"

I shook my head repeatedly until Ben placed his heavy hand on my shoulder.

"Emily, I know that what I'm about to say will be hard to hear, but... if you really care about everyone here on the Second Mass, especially Avery, Colton, and Hal, you would leave with me."

Those words sink hard. It was true, that was the best thing I could do, but I couldn't imagine living without them. I knew it seemed selfish, risking their lives just because I wanted them close. 

My eyes became watery and I kept silence, waiting for Ben to say something.

"You know I'm right. They'll come back, not just for me, but for you too. We should go and be with others like us and work on the rebellion," Ben explained with a bright smile and crystallized eyes.