Chapter 35

Guys, I know it has been ages since my last update. I had been editing the first few chapter and that had taken more time than I though, sorry bout that. I hope you like this chapter even though I wrote it in a rush. Thanks for all te support!

An aggressive knock on the door woke me up from my necessary nap. My feet moved quickly through the cold floor and I immediately opened the door, it seemed important.

"Emily," Tom said, he was breathing quickly and had a concerned look on his face.

"Tom? Is everything okay?"

"We can't find Ben. Pope told me Karen is with the Skitters and that she was looking to manipulate Ben because of the rebellion. I have searched everywhere for Ben and Karen, but there are gone."

"Where's Hal? Is he okay? I-I told him to go look for Ben because I knew Karen was going to try something on him."

"We found him unconscious on the roof, but he's awake now."

The feeling of guilt grew inside me. It was my fault, after all, I was the one who told him to go after Karen and I didn't even went with him.

I nodded with a sigh and turned on my heels. My hand moved abruptly towards my bed where my own brown jacket was.

"I'll find Ben, he can't be far from here," I said firmly as I placed the jacket over my shoulders and walked out of my room with Tom following behind me.

__________

With each step I took down the stairs, the bruises and cuts on Hal's face became more and more visible. He was sitting on his bike and even though he was looking down at it, you could easily see the red blood moving down his forehead and lower lip.

I jogged towards him, he didn't even notice my presence until I took his face in my small and cold hands.

"Ow, ow!" He protested, but soon places his hands on mine.

"Ben did this to you?"

Hal sighed and closed his eyes.

"I'm sorry, it's my fault."

"No, it isn't. I should have been moe careful with Karen, I'm the one who should be sorry," Hal stroke my cheek gently.

I nodded and smiled at him, "The good news it's that I don't think it will need stitches and the bad it's that I need to clean the wounds as soon as possible or they will probably get infected," I moved his hand away and analyzed his cuts.

He looks so hot when he is all bruised up - I thought with a little laugh, but I quickly covered it up as I bit my lower lip.

"What?" Hal asked with a playful smile.

"You look kind of hot when you have cuts and bruises, sort of a badass," I could feel as my temperature grew higher.

"Oh, so you like bad boys," Hal said in a husky town and suddenly grabbed me by the wrist pulling me closer to him.

"Maybe."

Hal opened his mouth to respond but was soon interrupted.

"Hal! Emily! We need to get going," I heard Tom scream all of a sudden.

I quickly pushed Hal apart not before kissing his cheek softly and started walking towards the truck.

"Wait, you're not coming, are you?" Hal got up the bike and started following me.

"Yes, I am," I continued walking.

A random guy gave me a gun. I took it with shaking hands and placed it on my shoulder nervously.

Yes, I had practiced in the woods, but I really never had had the chance to use it with a Skitter.

"Em, it's dangerous out there," Hal growled as he pushed his black hair back with a hint of frustration on his face.

"I have to, it's the only way to bring Ben home," I told him as I stopped my steps and turned around to face him.

Hal sighed and gazed at the ground for a couple of seconds, "Your crazy if you think I'll let you ride on that truck."

He grabbed my hand and guided me to his bike. He sat first and then I did behind him, I placed my hands around his muscular body while my head rested on his back.

"Ready, princess?"

"Ready," I smiled to myself.

_________

I ran as fast as my legs could, but the fresh snow under my boots slowed me down.

My eyes closed one last time, I could feel exactly where they were and we were almost there. We walked farther into the woods until the words just came out of my mouth. 

"There," I pointed my finger to two figures, a few Skitters and a Mech.

Each person took their sniper position and hid behind some rocks and trees. My breathing started to get faster and faster as I snuck beside Tom and hugged my gun as hard as I could. Tom gave me a reassurance smile and nodded into Weaver's direction. Weaver lifted up his hand up slightly and one of the men shot directly at the harness Karen had on her hands. Once the first bullet was shot, everyone started shooting at the Skitters and Mechs.

"Ben, Get down!" I screamed.

He was frozen not far from where I was standing, so I did the first thing that came to my mind. I start running towards him as I shot randomly through the air.

"Emily!" Hal yelled at me in anger, but I miraculously got to where Ben was and knocked him to the ground.

"I said, 'get down'," I whipped on Ben's ear as we both lay on the ground.

Once the shooting stopped, we both looked up and saw Hal and Tom pointing their guns up to some weird fish-head alien I hadn't see before.

"What's going on?" I whispered to Ben.

"They don't want to risk that getting hit," Ben pointed out.

"Then he must be very important to them."

Ben quickly nodded and faced me.

"I'm sorry, for everything. Karen, she just..."

"I know, she has that effect on people."

It would be great if you could vote and comment!