Chapter 22: Intruder

Rezso

I stared at my sleeping queen on the sofa with her hand still resting on my head. She looked so peaceful and in a state of utter bliss. Meeting her wolf was one of the happiest experiences in my whole life. But it also hurt me to see her wolf in that state.

They tortured her to the extent that she didn't recognise her own mate. She was scared of me. That's not how it should be. But I'd make them pay for what they did to her. I'd kill them all to take away my mate's nightmares. She was my light and I'd always keep her beside me.

Purring at her touch, my body shuddered as she moaned in her sleep. I didn't want to leave her, but I knew her wolf was safe with mine in the cave wrapped up in my embrace.

I needed to speak with the doctor about what I had seen even though I didn't want to leave her side.

"Why is she not waking up?" my mate's mum questioned with concern.

I had already mind linked the doctor to explain that I wanted her wolf to rest with me. She had been through hell and I wanted to stay with her to reassure her that no harm would ever come to her with me beside her.

"She's fine Scarlet. But from what Rezso has told me, she's still very scared. She endured a lot of pain and didn't even recognise her own mate. But she knows now and she's resting with him. Rezso wants to give her wolf some time to get comfortable with him and stay with her. Rezso will take her to the bedroom and let her rest. Don't worry, she's almost there".

Looking back at Scarlet, she looked at me and nodded with a warm smile.

"Right, I'm going to lift her onto your back".

I didn't like the idea of another man touching her, but I trusted the doctor with her. I trusted my pack with her completely.

I watched intently as the doctor carefully picked my mate up and laid her on my back ensuring she would not fall off. But I knew she wouldn't. Compared to me, she was so small. But that's how I liked it. It was my duty to protect her and keep her safe and being much bigger than her meant that I could wrap my whole self around her to shield her away from the world.

Walking out of the lounge in my home, I carefully walked up the stairs with the doctor beside me to ensure she didn't slide off my back. I could have had the doctor carry her, but I needed to feel her skin on mine. I needed to be close to her after our wolves met for the first time. 

The doctor opened the door to our bedroom and let the both of us in. Walking up to the bed, I carefully lent to the side and let her roll off my back. She rolled onto the thick mattress and let out a deep sigh of content as she nuzzled her head into the pillow.

I knew she wouldn't wake up. She was completely knocked out from the experience. It always is when it's your first time. She would need plenty of rest.

Grabbing the duvet in my jaws, I tugged at the thick material and threw the duvet over her shoulders before using my nose to tuck her in properly like a child.

Once I was completely content that she was warm and comfortable, I looked back up at the doctor and sighed. 

"You know, whilst you two were reconnecting as wolves, I was notified of some ground breaking news. Come Alpha, you will be very pleased to hear what I have to say".

The doctor gestured to the door and waited for me to follow him.

What could he want to tell me? I didn't want to leave my mate, but judging from his expression, I knew it was going to be good news. 

Staring back at my mate one last time, I nodded at the doctor and followed him out of the bedroom ensuring the door was shut behind me.

*****************