Chapter 15: Safe at last

Eliza

My eyes slowly began to open up and a small amount of sunlight started to seep through causing me to squint and turn on the soft thing I was laying in.

I reached out to stroke my wolf's fur, but I couldn't feel it. My eyes shot open as I wondered where he had gone. And then the events that happened not so long ago came flooding back.

"No, no, no" I cried as I realised where I was and wondered where my wolf was and if he was still alive.

I couldn't remember the last time I had been in my father's doctor surgery, but I wasn't sure if it this was it. All I knew was that I was in some sort of hospital, but where, I didn't know. I had to get out in case I was back with my father.

The sound of a heart beat monitor began to rapidly increase as my panic and fear heightened. I stared down at the wires connecting from machines that had been inserted into my arm and cried loudly at the idea of what could they could have pumped through them. 

Reaching down, I tried to pull them out of me but suddenly the door burst open and a man dressed in a white doctor's coat rushed in with 2 nurses behind him. Grabbing the IV drip beside me, I held it threateningly by my side ready to attack if it should come to it.

"Hey! Hey! It's ok, you're safe. No-one is going to hurt you, just put the IV drip down".

I stared between the doctor and 2 nurses unsure as to whether I should listen or not, but as I took in their facial features, I realised that I had never seen these people before. 

"I know you're scared and confused but I promise you that you're in a safe place my Luna".

Luna? Luna!

"Where is he? The wolf I was with. Where is he? Is he alive?".

I rushed towards them in hopes it was going to be good news. I failed to realise that I had pulled the wires out and left a small trail of blood along the floor.

"It's okay. He's in an induced coma to help give his body time to recover. But we need to look after yo"-

"No, I need to see him. I need"-

"I understand but please Luna, we need to look after you too". 

"My name is not Luna" I retorted back.

"You will soon understand, but right now we need to check you over and as soon as you're all good to go I'll have you escorted to Alpha". 

The man gestured to the bed and I nodded at him before sitting myself down on the bed.

He remained silent as he tended to my old and now new injuries. I couldn't help but notice the way he and the 2 nurses would occasionally glance at me with awe like they saw some sort of miracle before them.

I had no idea where we were, but as long as my wolf was alright, that was the only thing that mattered. 

"W-Who are you people?".

The young doctor smiled at me and ushered me towards the lone window in the large room. I walked closer towards the half drawn window and watched as he opened the curtains up fully. 

"This is our home. A sanctuary to some as well. Over 2,245 people live here, families, children, communities".

He continued to talk, but I focused more on the beauty of this so called community. There were playgrounds with children running, jumping, drawing with chalk and playing group singing games. Their mothers stood nearby chatting to one another whilst keeping their eyes firmly fixed on their children. 

"We take in children who've been orphaned, people running away from a dark past, and people who simply wish for a new start in life. We have been lost for many years, leaderless and without guidance. But he has returned and you are the reason he is here today, alive and well. You brought our leader back to us and you saved him, my Luna. I'm sure you're very tired and confused and I promise you, all will be explained soon. I'll have a bed set-up for you beside the Alpha and you may rest. Apart from that, can I get you anything else?". 

I couldn't take my eyes off the outside world. This home, this community was situated in the middle of the most serene and beautiful forest. So tranquil and peaceful. Even looking at it all, I felt safe for the first time in a long while. 

Maybe this is his home. He's finally free.

"Just some water please".

"Of course. If you'd follow me" the friendly man bowed and gestured towards the door for me to follow him.

I nodded back at him and trailed after him like a nervous puppy conscious of my new surroundings. I clutched onto my body that was clothed in a flimsy hospital gown and walked through the long hospital hallway.

Men and women stopped in the hallway with their mouths dropped open and their eyes widened at me. My cheeks reddened feeling embarrassment from their intense stares. I hated being the centre of attention and right now was like a living hell. Who and what is a Luna and why were they referring me to it. 

My head was pounding with confusion, but all I wanted to do was cuddle with my wolf and then eventually find out what was going on.

"In here Luna".

The doctor stopped before a door that was guarded by 2 very large and very intimidating looking men.

But just like everyone else, their eyes widened and bowed slightly before me.

"Luna" they both muttered as if shocked by my presence and moved back before opening up the door for me.

And there he was. My wolf, the alpha of this so called pack. The wolf that I brought home. The wolf that suffered cruel torture was finally free from a life of pain and was back home with his family. But what would be of me. This was his home, not mine. 

Running over to him, I collapsed beside him and instantaneously began stroking his ever so soft fur. His eyes were still shut, but I could see his body move with each deep breath.

"Hey, I knew you'd fight. I knew you'd make it" I whispered into the wolf's ear.

I could tell there were other people in the room, but I paid them no attention, all I could focus on was my strong wolf.

The heart rate monitor started to speed up as I rested my hand on the wolf's head and stroked down on his fur gently.

"Here is your water Luna. We'll give you two some privacy. There are two guards outside the room by the door and will be happy to help if you should need anything". 

"Thank you, er, Mr?".

"Daniels. Finn Daniels" he smiled warmly at me before excusing himself to check on other patients.

Pushing the bed closer to the bed my wolf was laying on, I sat myself on it and laid down resting my head on the fluffy pillow so that my head rested next to the wolf's head.

Looking down at his body, I noticed that all of his wounds were nearly completely healed. I still had no clue how long I had been asleep for, but none of that mattered. We were both safe and away from my father and his minions.

"You're safe now. No-one can hurt you ever again. I'll make sure of that".