Chapter 7: Sacrifice

Eliza

"What an Earth is going on Kyle? Where are they taking her, she's done nothing wrong. I don't get it".

"Babe, just calm down for a second".

Kyle wrapped his arms around me and pulled my body against his, gently stroking my hair softly. He always did this when I was stressed. He seemed to think it calmed me down, but it never worked.

As Kyle attempted to calm me down I couldn't help but think about Poppy and the final moments I had seen her. I hadn't known her long at all, but when I had first met her she was incredibly shy and timid. So seeing her react the way she did before she was taken away made my stomach churn.

She was screaming at me telling me that someone was lying to me and that someone needed to be saved. But I knew of no one who needed to be saved. Was she talking about a criminal.

"Why did she say those things? Someone's lying to me?".

"Shhh, babe I can assure you that no one is lying to you, I'm not sure why she said those things but maybe she was just having a stressful day".

Kyle held onto me tighter whilst sniffing my hair deeply. He always did this, it was weird but I never questioned him. Perhaps he just liked the smell of my shampoo, but it seemed to comfort him.

Suddenly the door burst open abruptly making me instantaneously pull away from Kyle. My dad walked in looking very stressed with a crumpled suit and messy hair.

"Are you alright baby girl?" Dad muttered whilst rushing over to me. He cupped my cheeks softly whilst staring intensely into my eyes.

"I, I'm fine Dad, but where is Poppy?".

Dad knelt before me and cupped my hands in his.

"Sweetheart, there's some things you should know about, Poppy".

"Like what?".

I stared up at Kyle feeling him move away from me and noticed that he was staring out the window with his fists closed tightly together.

"Sweetheart, when I first met her she was on the streets. She was a complete wreck. I took her in and helped her. She told me that she had nobody left as some men killed her whole family. She was unstable, but with professional help she sorted herself out and became a maid for us. I thought she was okay, but sometimes all it takes is one bad day to throw us into chaos".

"So where is she?".

"She's been admitted to hospital. I've got my best doctors and nurses taking care of her" he muttered reassuringly whilst stroking loose strands out of my hair.

"I'd like to go and visit her".

"Absolutely not Eliza".

Just like before, his tone suddenly turned cold and menacing.

"Why not? She's my friend, I want to check that she's doing ok".

"BECAUSE I SAID SO" he shouted, so loud that the windows rattled and shook.

In all my life, my dad has never shouted at me. Yes he raised his voice like parents do, but this was the first time I had ever faced his anger directly and truth be told, it terrified me.

"Honey, I didn't mean to shout. I, I'm just very stressed with work and honestly I didn't expect Poppy's breakdown. She's fine, but for a few weeks she needs to be alone with the doctors, Ok?".

I sighed in defeat, as long as Poppy was being looked after then that was fine by me.

"Fine, I'll let her get the help she needs. But I do have one question".

"Anything" my dad's eyes lit up and stroked my cheek softly.

"She said that someone is lying to me and that I need to save someone. What did she mean by that and why would she say it?".

I examined my dad's expressions intently and watched as his eyes flew to the floor with his eyebrows scrunched tightly.

"I don't know why she would say that, but I can assure you that no one is lying to you. I can only imagine that this was possibly a flashback from her own life. Don't lose sleep over it honey. She's being taken care of. Now, you get some rest. Kyle can stay with you and I'll bring you up some dinner".

Before I could ask any further questions, he stood up from his spot on the floor and kissed me gently on top of my head. Without as much as another glance, he walked towards the door but stopped as soon as he grabbed the door handle.

"By the way, I've rescheduled your appointment with Gloria for tomorrow at 11:30am".

"Thanks Dad".

He nodded at me and then at Kyle before leaving the room and closing the door behind him.

"Come lay down with me babe".

**********

John (Eliza's Dad)

"Let me in Marcus".

"Of course Sir".

Marcus inserted a key into the lock and twisted it round until a loud clunk echoed through the dingy hallways of the basement.

Jerking my head to the side, a satisfied click of my neck eased the tension I was feeling in my body. This girl, this servant almost ruined everything I had been working so hard for. I hated lying to my little girl, but it's for her own good.

Stepping into the dimly lit room, I smiled meeting the innocent eyes of the girl, the girl called Poppy.

My lips quirked up into a sinister smile as her eyes widened and her body trembled in fear.

"Not so brave are you now, Poppy".

Walking closer to the small girl tied down on a chair, I circled her like a shark would to scare its prey. It had been so long since I had unleashed the beast inside of me. But now I had the perfect opportunity to release the rage within.

"Did you really think a little runt like yourself could try and jeopardise all my hard work. Too bad my daughter has fallen for the lies about your well being".

"Do your worst, John. Sacrifices have to be made and I know I won't be the first to try and tell Eliza who she really is. Time is ticking and soon all will be revealed. The prophecy will come true".

"IT'S ALPHA TO YOU" I roared, my wolf getting more and more agitated by the second at the lack of disrespect.

"You'll never be my Alpha. I lived only to serve the soon to be Luna, and it is an honour to die trying to free her from the web of lies you've surrounded her with. Your time is coming to an end".

My body started to shake with uncontrollable rage and I could feel my wolf clawing at the surface begging to come out and unleash hell upon this worthless slave.

"Legend has it she will rise,
And wipe the tears from his eyes.
She will free him from his cage,
And a war they will wage,
On the ones who wronged the Alpha and his Queen".

She stared at me with a wicked smile on her face as she repeated the end of the prophecy like a mantra.

And before I had a chance to speak, my wolf took over and the once grey walls of the room turned red with her blood.