Chapter 10: Rescue

Eliza

What in the world were we doing? Breaking into a zoo all because of curiosity. My dad had always warned me about Brooke, saying how she was a bad influence on me, perhaps he was right but she brought out the confident side of me. She made me live life to the fullest and now here I was practically committing a crime with her.

"Brooke, this is wrong. We shouldn't be doing this".

I peeked around the corner as Brooke worked the lock with a hair pin that she magically found in her bag.

"You're wrong. We definitely need to be doing this".

Just as I was about to protest, Brooke quietly cheered as the door unlocked open.

"Pass me your jacket!".

"What?" I said in disbelief and shock. There were guards on patrol all around us and now she wanted my jacket for some random reason.

Knowing not to argue with her, I slipped my jacket off and chucked it to her.

Watching quietly like a shadow on the wall, Brooke ran to the opposite side and rubbed my jacket on the wall before throwing it as far as she could.

"Hey! That's Gucci".

"Believe me, right now it's invaluable" she whispered as she ran back over to the door she had unlocked.

Quietly twisting the handle, her eyes lit up as the door swung open but grimaced as it let out a loud creek.

"Hey!"

A burly man burst out of the door that Brooke had just stepped into and shoved her back.

He picked up his radio and began to speak into it frantically. He pinned both of Brooke's hands tightly and she looked over at me with a face full of fear.

Something shifted within me as I watched the man reach to his back pocket. An indescribable anger coursed through me, fuelling my every thought and every move. Picking up one of the signs beside me I raised it behind me and swung it at the man holding my best friend captive. 

"Holy shit Eliza, you knocked the bastard out". 

Brooke brushed herself down before turning back to the open door and peered inside it.

"Let's go" she whispered as she picked up the unconscious guard's gun from his waistband.

"Why would a zoo security man have a gun?".

"Because this zoo holds too many dark secrets. There's so many things you don't know".

Brooke picked up the sign and smashed the handle off the door.

She grabbed my hand and pulled me into the room before slamming and locking the door shut.

"Okay. That should hold them off for a while".

I felt my body shudder in fear as male voices shouted in the distance and alarm bells started to ring.

Something still felt off. What were we trying to find in a zoo. Why break in and possibly get ourselves arrested. But then a part of me felt like there was a reason why we were here at this very moment in time. 

I could hear Brooke bustling about throwing papers off and turning things over, but my eyes were fixated on the full moon shining brightly in the dark sky. It looked more magnificent than ever before. 

"Dammit" Brooke growled.

She covered her nose and grimaced as she stepped away from a well hidden door in the corner.