THE LITTLE MERMAID

A/N: ocean au requested by @Pearlpaintbrush ! nenefish returns again

- - - - -

Yashiro Nene was a quite popular mermaid in the sea. Her tail was thicker than others but that's what made her so unique. Her personality matched her looks and she was the daughter of the king, meaning she was a princess.

Her sixteenth birthday was coming up soon, which meant she would be two years closer to becoming queen, a dream of hers. She couldn't deny it, she was very excited for that day.

The girl sighed happily for the nth time while day-dreaming, making her best friend, Aoi, looked at her. "Nene-chan, you sure are estatic for your birthday."

She looked at Aoi, "Of course I am! I've been waiting for almost a year, I can't wait any longer."

After a while the other mermaid had to leave, leaving Nene on her own. She swam up to the surface to see the birds flying through the sky. She sometimes wishes she had legs, but they would probably look as thick as her tail- and she wasn't prepared to be teased even more.

She sighed and smiled, sustaining her balance by putting her arm on a nearby rock. She found herself in her favorite place near the coast. Where the normal humans were at. Even if her father scolded her and reminded her f the dangers of being in sight of humans she didn't seem to care at all.

She sighed happily, enjoying the peace and tranquility she felt as of now.

Footsteps interrupted her train of thought. She opened her eyes, shocked, as a boy stood above in the wooden structure- Made to 'park' boats and fishing, Yashiro assumed.

"Why are you in the water? It's such a cold day." The mermaid laughed nervously. She was ready to swim away but the dark haired boy frowned.

"Can I get your name? I'm Yugi Amane, soon to be sailor!" He smiled. Yashiro didn't see any harm in saying her name- No one knew her in the surface after all.

"Yashiro Nene, a pleasure to meet you."

"You should go home soon, they say there are mermaids in the water." She tensed up, which Amane noticed "What's up? You're not a mermaid, are you?" He jokingly said.

The mermaid didn't respond and looked away.

He gasped "You are!? Wait until I tell my bro-"
"Don't!" Yashiro pleaded.

"Huh? Why not?" Yugi innocently asked.

"The humans- They used to kill mermaids to obtain their scales. If they find out there actually are mermaids here then..." She looked away.

Amane released a small 'Oh' and nodded "I understand, can we still be friends?"

She laughed. "Sure."

They talked for about an hour, she told him about her birthday and she learned that Yugi wanted to become a sailor along with his brother Tsukasa.

When Nene returned to the depths of the water she told Aoi about her encounter with the human boy. "What do you mean you talked to a human!?" Her friend exclaimed fearfully.

"It's fine Aoi-chan, he doesn't seem like the type to do that! He looked understanding."

"Still- It's very dangerous. If the king finds out he will forbid you to go to the surface ever again!" Nene clenched her fists.

"Then- I'll deal with the consequences!" She said confidently. Aoi stared at her and sighed, nodding and smiling melancholically shortly after. "If you say so."

She smiled and hugged her friend, "I'll be careful, don't worry." Yashiro cheered.

- - - - -

Two months had passed and the mermaid was certain no one would find out about her almost secret encounters with Amane, she was grateful they could still meet up and talk.

Currently, it was her birthday and she was busy at the.. birthday-ceremony-thing-they-do. She was wearing a white, simple dress. It had a little bit of blue at the end.

She sneaked out of the party to go visit her human friend quickly. Yashiro swam up and stuck her head out like fishes do sometimes.

Amane saw her in the distance and he waved, when she swam closer his face flushed a bright red. He couldn't lie, she looked gorgeous for a human-fish creature.

"Good afternoon, Amane-kun!"
"G-Good afternoon to you too Yashiro."

"Did Tsukasa go back inside? I don't want him to see me." She shivered at the memory of the other Yugi twin stabbing fish on the sand. Terrifying. Amane nodded and she sighed.

"I have something I wanted to give to you-" He pulled out a collar made out of white shells and pearls. "You probably have a lot of these but I saw them in the market and they reminded me of you.. Happy birthday."

She smiled and put it on. "It's really pretty, thank you!"

Her eyes went wide, "Ah- I need to go back to the party, see you later!"

Tsukasa ran up to Amane, early enough to see Nene's tail,

"Amane, look at that tuna! It would be fun to stab!" He was preparing himself to jump in the water until the older twin grabbed him, "TSUKASA, NO!"

The younger Yugi pouted, "Why not?"
"It's technically not a tuna, she's a..." He had dug himself into a hole.

"A what? Mermaid? Amane, you have such a wild imagination!" His twin laughed.

"She was probably wearing a costume, mermaids are really popular here, let's go home!" He dragged his twin to their house.

- - - - -

910 words, edited.