Chapter 3: Just Tired

Theo woke up in a cold sweat to his alarm on his phone ringing. He turned over and looked at his phone; it read 6:00. He groaned, "oh right school," he thought. Theo rolled out of bed, got ready, and walked downstairs to the smell of coffee. Jenna always woke up before the boys, unless Liam went on a morning run; Dr.Geyer usually went to work around five and came home around five at night unless he had to pick up a shift at the hospital. Jenna always made breakfast for them.

"Good morning, Jenna. Thanks again." Theo told her as he grabbed a cup of black coffee, two pieces of toast with butter, bacon, and scrambled eggs. He really appreciated having an actual breakfast, instead of the granola bar he used to buy with his money from the bookstore.

"Morning Theo, excited for your first day?"

"Eh, I mean I am excited to finally get a diploma," he laughed.

The woman smiled, "You guys should leave at 6:45 to get to the school by 7:00. You sure you are okay with driving? I mean you can always get the bus. You know I wish I could get Liam a car, but after the incident with his ex-lacrosse coach's car I am scared his IED would play into some road rage."

"Ya, I mean the kid does have a temper," Theo chuckled. "Where is he anyway?"

Liam was never one to sleep in; the beta was always hyper and wide-awake by 6:30 everyday between early morning workouts and the kid's constant energy.

Liam finally climbed down the stairs at 6:44, after Jenna screamed at him from the kitchen. He was dressed in an oversized hoodie and jeans, carrying his lax bag over one shoulder, his book bag on the other. His eyes were red and puffy, and he looked like he hadn't slept at all.

"Liam Dunbar! You guys are going to be late. Here take this," Jenna shoved two pieces of toast into the boy's hand and rushed them out the door.

Theo looked at the beta, "what's up with you?"

"Nothing, just tired." Liam stared at the toast, not taking a bite.

The pair sat in silence until they pulled into the school parking lot beside Mason and Corey.

"Hey look who finally showed up!" Mason ridiculed the boys. Corey smirked gripping Mason's hand.

"Well someone didn't get out of bed this morning," Theo glanced at Liam

"Sorry, I was tired, " Liam rolled his eyes at the chimera.

Liam actually called Scott during the night telling him what happened in tears. After the phone call, the boy snuck out his window and went on a run until he couldn't go any further and climbed back into his window at 4:00.

Mason stared at Theo; he couldn't completely forget what the boy had done, but he did appreciate him being there for Liam, while he was focused on Corey. Mason knows Liam needs constant companionship; he is always looking for someone to latch on to. Liam always had trust issues, since his father just decided to leave before the boy was even born. Mason knew Liam better than anyone, and he saw something was up with the boy. The boys walked into the school; Theo went to his class as the three boys went over to trigonometry. As soon as Theo was out of sight, Liam threw his toast in the nearest trash can.

"Liam, what is going on with you?" Mason asked the boy as he just fell asleep on his book.

Liam realized Corey and Mason have no clue about last night; he told them about finding Rebekah leaving out his feelings and his nightly run.

"Damn, Liam. I thought we were finally at peace in this town." Mason shook his head.

"It's Beacon Hills, Mason." Corey replied. You could see the fear in the chameleon's eyes.

Liam struggled to get through the school day, already getting yelled at by Ms. Hicks and Mr. Yukimura for falling asleep in their classes.

Liam finally makes it to lunch; he walks in with Nolan walking to a table with Alec, Mason, Corey, and Theo already sitting there. Liam ignores the main lunch option and grabs a small peanut butter sandwich, thinking it's the only thing his stomach could handle right now. The guilt was eating him alive; he failed Rebekah, he failed his pack, he failed Scott. He could hear his stomach rumble, after skipping breakfast and his long run this morning, but he was starting to enjoy the feeling of emptiness.

"Earth to Liam!" Theo finally snapped the boy out of his trance.

Liam had been staring at his sandwich for five minutes, ignoring the boys chatter around him.

"Sorry, what did you say?"

Nolan replied, "Liam you should eat something; this is the first practice of the season, and you know Coach is going to be rough."

"Oh ya, sorry just tired" Liam reluctantly took a bite of his sandwich.

Theo stared at him knowing something was off but didn't want to put pressure on the Little Wolf. Liam ate three fourths of his sandwich, which kind of satisfied the chimera.

The rest of the school day drug along for the beta. Finally, the final period bell rings. Theo meets him at his locker.

"So, I will pick you up in two hours? I am going to go to work, while you are at practice, then I will come get you." Theo told Liam.

"I mean I can run home."

"Liam, you are going to go to practice for two hours then expect to run home. You have been exhausted all day. I am picking you up."

"Fine, thanks."

"No problem Little Wolf."