Chapter 38: Plans Change

Melissa came back in a few hours later, to give Liam dinner. She slowly opened the door, seeing Theo and Liam fast asleep on the bed. She hated to wake them but knew Liam had to eat dinner. She brought Theo dinner too, knowing the chimera would be staying there until tomorrow when Liam had to go to the psych unit.

"Liam, Theo," Melissa softly said.

Theo rolled over and looked at the woman, "Sorry, I didn't mean to fall asleep."

"I think it's okay this time," she laughed at him. "Liam, I brought you dinner."

Liam just continued to lay there, slowly opening his eyes. Theo sat up and pulled Liam up with him. He was already shaking, not looking up at Melissa.

The nurse kneeled to look the boy in the face, "Liam you either have to eat or get a tube feeding, you know that. The longer you fight it the longer you have to be in here; you are skin and bones, you know you have to be stable to leave."

The beta shook his head at his motherly figure, "I know Melissa. I'll try some food tonight."

Theo smiled at him; Melissa gave them both their dinners, so Liam could be slightly distracted by Theo eating with him. Liam stared at the tray, it just had a small peanut butter sandwich, a granola bar, and a cup of mixed fruit. They knew his body wouldn't be able to eat a lot of food right away, and they wanted to avoid refeeding syndrome.

Liam picked up his spoon and pushed around the fruit. "60 calories, I can do this," he thought to himself.

Theo looked at him, "Liam it's just fruit."

Liam knew it was stupid; he fought numerous supernatural creatures, defending his friends against hunters, and would not back down from anything, but he was afraid of food. Liam finally decided to eat the fruit, but he just stared at the rest of the food.

Liam started shaking from a combination of being cold and not being able to eat the rest of the food.

Melissa came back in, "You can't try anything else?"

The beta shook his head no.

"Thank you for trying; I'm going to get the rest of your supplement. Do you want to drink it?"

Liam gagged just thinking of the taste. "I can't."

"Okay, sweetie I'll be back."

Liam looked at Theo; he looked so weak especially with the NG tube in his nose. Theo started to brush the side of his face.

Back at the McCall house, Scott looked at Malia. He has barely talked since leaving the hospital. 

"I don't know if he's going to be okay."

"He will Scott; he's strong."

"You saw him; I've never seen someone so skinny in my life. He's Liam, the best lacrosse player I ever saw, one of the strongest werewolves I know, and right now he looks like a pile of bones. He survived being thrown down a well, fighting berserkers, fighting his best friend as the beast, almost losing his girlfriend of the time, recovering from Theo manipulating him, fighting off ghost riders and hunters, facing everyone knowing he was a werewolf, even learning how to control his anger and turning into a werewolf, but he just seems like now he's given up. Corey told me the other day that Liam told Nolan and him that he didn't know if he even wanted to live anymore," Scott looked at his girlfriend.

Malia wrapped her arms around the alpha's shoulders, "that's why he has all of us to support him."

"I hope you are right," just then Scott's phone started to ring. "Stiles, what's up?"