" you deserve somone who can make you happy"

We arrive at the dance, and by we I mean Sam and I.
We sit in the car awhile, before making our way to the busy looking gymnasium.

"Sam those flowers were downright incredible. "
" Uh wha- oh yah, I know." He hesitates before answering and pulls at his shirt collar.
Hm weird.
" You ready to have the best prom ever?"
I smile and grab his hand.
Come on you, let's go dancing!"

~~

The gymnasium is decorated so beautifully that my breath gets lodged in my throat. streamers, balloons and soft music playing in the background, it all feels unreal. The decorating committee did an amazing job.

Sam leads me to the centre of the dance floor and asks. " may I have this dance?"
I pretend to not know him.
"I'm sorry who are you, and I don't think so."
He whimpers and places a hand over his heart.
"You have hurt and cut me so deep m'lady."
I giggle.
But then I stop.
Standing at the edge of the gym is Derrick and guess who his date is, yup you got it, Vanessa.
She holds his arms and batts her eyelashes at him suddenly making me feel angry.

" Uh Alex, are you going to join me or should I have this dance alone?"
I smile forgetting about derrick.
" Of course my good sir."

We dance slowly to I see fire by ed sheeran.
It's as though nothing can stop us, well nothing but a quick tap on the shoulder from the one and only Derrick Richards.
" May I?" He smiles at me and smirks at derrick.
I grin.
" sure. Please excuse us Sam."

Sam just grunts and walks over to the punch table, where Vanessa drapes over him like a sack of potatoes.
When I see them I don't feel jealousy only numbness.
I don't know why, maybe because I am dancing in synch with Derrick, or the fact were just staring into each other's eyes.
"Am I not good enough for you A?" He suddenly asks.
" Why would you think that, of course you are, I don't deserve someone like you."

He smiles and brings his lips to my ear.

"Alex you deserve the moon and the stars, someone who can make you happy and love you forever."
My eyes, I swear are starting to water.
I can't do this. I just cant.

" Alex why didn't you want to come as my date to prom?"
" It's not that I didn't want to, Sam asked me first, and you should have seen it Derrick, he spread flowers out on the lawn saying prom? In huge letters, it was amazing!" I gush. derrick goes completely silent.

" Oh."

His eyes go blank than suddenly very angry.
"Thanks for the dance alex."
He gently kisses my forehead and walks away. I stand alone, losing him in the crowd of dancing kids.
-------------
Sam is nowhere to be seen, and come to think of it, I haven't seen Derrick in twenty minutes either.
Uh.oh.
Now I am beyond worried.
I run, well as fast as I can in heels outside to the parking lot. I hear am angry voice belonging to none other than derrick.
Again uh.oh.
Speed walking I make it in time to see him punch Sam splashing blood down his fist and Sam's face.
Sam kicks him in the shin. and I almost lose it, I can't stand fighting.

"Stop!" I cry. Freezing both boys in place.
" What the hell is going on with you two, and I want to know everything, so start talking NOW!"