1. What Next?

"I wonder whats gonna happen when you tell him." Chrissy, my best friend, dropped next to me on the warm summer grass.

It was the middle of summer break after my Junior year in high school. Chrissy and I have been best friends since tenth grade. I would never forget how friendly she was on my first day in town...

~"Hi! What's your name?" she was the first person to say one word to me that day. I was the new girl and it was the first day of school. "What's the matter? Haven't you learned to speak when spoken to?"

"Huh? Oh sorry, my name is Monique."

"So you can speak, huh. Great! I'm Christine, but we're gonna be best friends so you call me 'Chrissy', deal?"

"Yeah, ok deal."~

"He'll be crushed. I just know it." I said frowning. "Help me tell him, Chrissy. I won't be able to handle seeing the sadness on his face, when he discovers that I'm leaving."

When I got home, my parents were already almost finished packing everything in boxes. I found a note left by them on the fridge. ~

"Your father and I went out to have dinner with a couple of our business partners. Try to get some things packed up. If you get hungry we left money in case you want to order out." ~

Me? Pack boxes? They seriously want me to pack boxes and I can't even keep my room organized.

I tried my best to make everything as neat as my parents did. Just wait until they see what I poorly accomplished.

I decided I was going to crash and was headed to my room when I heard the house phone ring.

"Hello?"

"Monique! Are you alright? I've been trying to reach you for hours, something terrible has happened..."

"Mom? I'm fine. I was with Chrissy and my phone died. What happe-"

"Your brother had an accident, he's in the emergency room. He's been unconscious for hours and the doctors feel he isn't going to make it."

My heart sank to my stomach. I couldn't feel anything. My chest tightened at the thought of Vince, my older brother, dying. I couldn't think clearly enough to speak. And all I could hear was my mother's quiet sobs which for some reason sounded like the loudest screams.

🎬

I called Chrissy to give me a ride to the emergency room, I couldn't trust myself to drive with so many things running through my head.

The car was silent. I could tell she didn't want to say anything but rather let me have this moment to let the reality of the situation sink in. If anyone knew how much my big brother Vince meant to me it was Chrissy.

Everyone knew him, he was easy to be around. It was like he had a natural ability to attract as many people as possible no matter where we were. Everyone loved and respected every ounce of his being, especially me.

🎬

When we got to the hospital we could barely tell it was even open. It was damn near empty, there were only five people in the waiting room, there weren't any nurses or doctors in sight, and surprisingly an eery silence except for the occasional keyboard clicks here and there.

We walk to the counter and requested to see my brother. I was expected to show up so there was no problem.

A door opened and a woman who looked like she was in her mid thirty's motioned for us to follow her.

She led us down a long hallway with sections, each with a curtain in front for the privacy of the patient.

A few more turns and she stopped in front of a room, it wasn't like the others, it had a thick wooden door with the number 317 on it. He must've been in pretty bad condition for them to give him a completely different room.

When I saw my brother I gasped for air, I felt like I couldn't breathe, like the sight of him like this was suffocating me.

I could tell he was still unconscious because they had him on an IV and and he was connected to a breathing machine. I had no clue why, but it pissed me off to see him like this. I wanted him out of here.

"You must be his younger sister," the doctor, who had slick black and silver hair, smokey grey eyes, and a silky olive tan, spoke with a soft deep voice.

"I'm Dr. Spencer. Your family stepped out for dinner in the cafe. So I'll update you on you brothers condition.

"Four of his ribs are cracked its nothing major though it will take time to heal. He suffered a pretty bad concussion from the impact of the hit which sent him into a light coma. We believe he isn't going to make it, he hasn't improved over the past hour or two. But if he does make it there will be a few side effects."

"What side effects?" I managed to croak trying not to let them hear the lack of air in my lungs.

I waited for the answer but he hesitated, which pissed me off even more than I was.

"Can you hear? Or do I need to speak up?!" I hissed.

"Mo, calm down," Chrissy spouted. She and I both new that I rarely lose my temper but when I do, it gets bad. I grew angrier with every second of silence that passed.

He spoke, "If your brother wakes up he may suffer a case of amnesia, or severe head trauma..." He trailed off which meant there was more but he wasn't telling and I lost it.

"WHAT ELSE?!" My voice crashed against the walls of the room and mom and dad had to be close enough to hear because seconds later they came rushing into the room telling me to calm down.

"...I-If your brother wakes up, there is a high possibility that he will have a certain amount of time left to live..."

The room fell silent. The only sound was the steady beeping of the heart monitor, connected to my brother.

My older brother who's been there for me my entire life, never wanting to leave me anywhere and dragged me around with him. My brother who took me on long walks, made me laugh and smile.

He was the only person that could make me smile and I hated him now. I hated him because he wasn't being fair. He was leaving me to deal with all this shit by myself. And I hated him for that.

I stormed out of the room and before anyone got the chance to run after me I was in the stairwell.

But after a minute or two passed I realized that I wasn't alone.

🎬

A/N: ok i have no clue if someone is actually reading my book but if you are and you made it this far dont give up on me i kno it sucks now but its about to get a whole lot better trust me. i promise so just stick through the first couple chapters plzzzzz...

thank you for reading plz share my book you dont have to vote or anything if you dont want to i just want people to see it and give me feedback on improvements i need to make my writing so share it plz!

You Can't Love Meजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें