Float Before You Drown

Start from the beginning

I look to Thalia and she sighs, "I'll get clearance for her."

*~*

~*~

The Women's Room is buzzing with energy. Queen Sally is to have afternoon tea with the Elite. I feel my stomach growl and silently hope there is food too.

Paris sees us and brightens, "Annabeth! Piper!"

We hug her and I relish in just being Annabeth, not Agent Chase, not Lady Annabeth. I am just Annabeth to these girls. Tayla comes up to us in an elegant and simple gown like mine, smiling. "I hope there is food," she comments, Gabriella coming up to her side.

I laugh, "I was literally thinking that walking in!"

Tayla points at me, "Yes! I would do anything for a sandwich right now."

"Or pasta?"

We all fantasize about food and it's a laughable situation. Then I hear a voice behind me, "A hamburger is the best."

I turn to see Queen Sally standing there is a champagne colored gown, a small braided crown on her head. She smiles sweetly at us and I wonder if she knows what happened this morning. Princess Elise then comes up and I meet her eyes. She answers my question with a grave look in her eyes and simple nod. Talk later, she mouths.

Then door opens to the Women's Room and I look to see Percy and Tyson. I refrain from ducking behind Piper, instead just taking hold of her hand. She squeezes it in a comforting gesture. Tyson sees me and perks, which tells me he has no clue Percy found out. "Annie!" He runs to me and embraces me in a crushing hug. I feel my lungs squeezing and my ribs breaking.

"Ty, let the poor girl go," Elise laughs, hitting his arm.

Tyson pulls away and asks, "How are you today?"

I smile at him, "Not horrible, how about you?"

"I want to go horseback riding again," he frowns.

I lean in and whisper, "Who's stopping you?"

His mouth quirks up in a smirk. I then turn my attention to Queen Sally who's conversing with Percy. "The conference room?" She asks him, her eyes glancing at me.

Percy sighs, running a hand through his messy black hair, "Yeah, this evening."

She nods, "Okay, allow them access." He hesitates, before nodding. Queen Sally then says, "We were all just talking about food. Annabeth seems to be the hungriest."

My face flushes with heat. "Umm, yeah. I am."

Percy doesn't look at me and says, "Are you guys having food with your tea? Or should I talk to the kitchen staff?"

She waves her hand, "There's food coming."

"Alright, I've got lots to do as today went horribly wrong," he lowers his voice, but I hear it. "Love you," Percy says, kissing her cheek.

I watch him leave. Without thinking, I run after him. I slip through the closing door and face him in the hallway. I let out a breath, "Percy." He stares at the wall behind me. Throwing my hands in the air, I say, "If you won't look at me, then listen. I couldn't tell you I was a spy. It was for your protection."

He finally meets my eyes, hurt and anger laced in them. "Protection? Faking everything between us was to protect me?" I open my mouth to tell him it was all real, then clamp it shut. If I tell him that, it'll put him in more danger. I don't know who's listening. He speaks again, "See? You can't even defend yourself!"