Fifth

Nandini

By the time I reached near the jail, it was almost dark and the streets lights were illuminating the entire freeway. As I stepped out of the car, I could feel the gentle breeze and hence took a stole from the car to wrap around myself. I opened my phone to call Navya to inform her that I reached but I see that she had dropped me a text few minutes before which read,

"I told Dad that you've taken up designing as an elective subject this semester and so we're doing this project together now. Don't mess it up"

Amazing, see who has messed up the entire situation with lies. I don't know why did I agree to this insane idea at the first place, that too just for a birthday gift. Maddy could've even lived without the gift. But now, I have to face all these situations where I've to lie for no reason.
I reached the security guard and mentally made a note to not always believe in my useless best friend's ideas. The guard took me to the same cabin as the day I came here for the first time. Navya's Daddy was sitting behind his desk reading something.

"Good evening Uncle" I greeted him and he looked up and smiled.

"Good evening, I was waiting for you only since Navya told me that you wanted to see Manik"

"Yes Uncle" I didn't know what else to say.

"Siddharth will be here in a minute to lead you there, till then have a sit"

I nodded and sat on the opposite side of the desk. He coughed a bit and closed the book he was reading. The grave expression on his face told that he was going say something, maybe, serious. 

"Nandini, I know you're a sincere child but still you're taking help from a criminal here. And these criminals, they just known their way. I'm not saying Manik is a bad person and at some extent I can assure that he is no harm. That's why I'm allowing you a second visit to him. However, you've to keep your guard up. There is a reason for someone to be in jail."

That last line left a huge impact on my mind. Now I almost regret sitting here. All he said was correct. I'm going to be a lawyer and here I'm taking help from a criminal. I'm getting this uneasy feeling about everything.

"Oh siddarth is here" I turned my head to see the same person who lead us to Manik the last time.

"Nandini, now I'm leaving. Also, the security is a bit increased. So when you'll meet Manik, Siddharth will have to bolt the room from outside and you can stay in there for maximum 30 minutes. Though, Siddharth will be outside only. So you just have to ask him through the glass to open the door anytime. I hope that's fine." he explained. I nodded.

This is a jail. So I've known this that the security systems keeps on changing for safety purposes.

On my way, I got a notification from Navya,

"Reached?"

I didn't reply to it. I'm almost not in a mood to talk with her or even anyone else after the whole conversation I had with her father.
I feel like meeting Manik is not the right decision for me. Maybe I could've just told Navya that I got another idea for the gift and I feel that's better. Atleast, there would've been no stress about the entire situation.

We reached the same cube like room when Siddharth said,

"Ma'am you've to hand me your phone to go inside according to the new rules"

I gave him my phone and went inside shuffling with the sides of my stole.
I don't know why all of a sudden I got this jittery feeling after thinking about seeing the same pale faced good looking man from before. I turned around and found him drinking water from the jug. As soon as he saw his face depicted absolute shock. Maybe he wasn't thinking that I would ever visit him again. He kept the jug and looked around as if not knowing what to say.

"Hi" I said to clear the thick air of confusing tension between us.

"H..hey.. Hi" he replied stuttering.

"Did you sneak in without the security getting to know" he asked still looking around. I don't know why did he say that though? Do I look like I would get inside a jail like that. Maybe all criminals think of other people as the same. I thought scrutinizing him from top to bottom.

"What is making you think such a thing about me? I won't ever do any such thing in my life that goes against the law." I said highly displeased with whatever he said.

"Sorry." he said in a meek voice that if there would have been another person breathing beside me, I wouldn't have heard that.

"Anyway, I was here for the sketch and I took permission from the authorities to see you." I told him.

"Obviously" he said as if not liking me being there one bit now. Well the feelings are mutual, criminal.

"Its roughly completed. Come, have a look" he said going towards the easel, now with his voice soft. Split personality disorder.

I looked at the canvas as he removed the paper covering and I was absolutely awed. The sketch was almost completed. It just needed the required sharpening on its edges and little to fill in.

"Can you confirm if its fine so that I can move on with the filling part." he asked.

"Yeah, its beautiful."

"Okay"

"You're a great artist Manik. You make me wonder about a lot of things." I said. I don't know when those words decided to flow out of my mouth without letting my brain to decide.

About what you're doing in the jail. I didn't say it aloud this time.

"What things" he asked as if reading my mind trying to portray a perplexed expression but the way his eyebrows were raised, I can tell he was totally amused.

I don't know what should I say anymore. Before I came here, I was so reluctant to see him. But now, just after the exchange of a few syllables with him. I just can't say he can commit a single crime. The way his voice gets softer as soon as he detects himself getting rude, the way he even looks around, the way he would just keep his face straight but still screaming calmness and peace without saying a word, Everything about him is just plain good and I'm scared to say that I'm loving this plain good.

"Nothing" I said and turned to leave thinking its better to stay silent.

I looked through the glass to find siddharth so that he can unlock the bolt for me but I couldn't see him anywhere. So, I just knocked on the glass lightly so that he could hear if he is around but probably he is not. I didn't get any answer after waiting for a few seconds.

I looked around to find Manik looking at me confusingly.

"There's no one around to open the door for me."

Author's Note:
Hey guys, I'm really sorry for the delay. I just got a bit off track but now I'll try to give regular updates. I hope you guys remember the story line.
Do vote and comment if you loved the chapter.