Sixteenth

Nandini
(Unedited)

As I reached home after meeting Siddharth, there I met another shock. Well, my parents decided to show up at their own home. Not trying to sound sarcastic about my relationship with my parents, but how do I say hi to them when I meet them this rare.

Honestly they're amazing parents. Before I passed high school, we used to spend time together during vacations. They would take time out for me from their busy schedules as much as they could. But now, they just believe that I've grown up and I realise my responsibilities enough to take care of myself.

I don't know if that's true or not but I miss them. And they, well, they love their work. I'm sure they miss me too though. They just want to work enough so that none of us have to struggle for money.

Mom told me when I turned 14 and they couldn't make it to my birthday. I was so mad at them that I raised my voice in front of them for the first time. But, they just sat calmly that day when returned home a week after my birthday. After we had dinner, Mom explained how they had almost no money till the time I was born and Mom couldn't work due to pregnancy and after I was born, someone was required to take care of me.

Apparently, Mom and Dad had a love marriage. They both belonged to middle class families who were totally against the idea of love marriage and hence they had to run away when Dad's family scheduled his engagement without even asking him.

So, they're just too serious when it comes to money. And, I don't honestly want to trouble them but I just like spending time with them that I get irritated when they're not around which is most of the time.

I sat with them for breakfast.
And Mom's glare didn't ho unnoticed by me. Well, shouldn't I be the one glaring at them for not being home in general.

'Good morning Mom' I said sweetly.

'Good morning, you friend left an hour back.' she said in a monotonous voice.

'Oh Okay, when did you come home?' I asked.

'When you were leaving so early in the morning.' she said, again so monotonous voice and the stoic expression not leaving her face.

'Okay enough, I'll get straight to the point.' Now Dad said sounding mad indicating some seriousness in situation.

And my mind just wandered thinking, Did they get to know anything about Manik.

'We found this on the couch.' He said and kept something on the table and Damn, now I know what happened to these people.

Its Maddy's Wallet

I immediately looked down thinking what to explain to them next. Stupid Maddy, Can't even take back his wallet with himself.

'Who's Madhyam Singhania to you?' Dad said in a slightly raised voice and Mom kept her hand on his shoulder in an attempt to calm him. Shit, they checked the wallet. Very Bad.

'Nandini if you're dating someone you're supposed to tell us at the very least.' She said and I was about to say something but she cut me in between saying,

'Now don't come up with any excuse, tell me seriously since when it's going on, And no lies, the guy has a picture of you in his wallet which pretty much says a lot.'

Here I was myself shocked, my picture in his wallet. Maddy, I didn't expect this cliche thing from you. I just kept mum not knowing what to say. If they get to know I'm hiding something from them for this long, they're going to be so mad at me.

'Mom, I wanted to tell you but the thing is... the thing is that...that Maddy, I mean Madhyam...' I didn't what to say and the doorbell rang as if to save me from further conversation on this topic.

'I'll see who's there.' I said and was about to leave when I saw the door was left open by me only in the nervousness and excitement of seeing my parents home.

Who walked in from the door made my eyes come out of its sockets.

No points for guessing, its Maddy himself. And well, I thought to myself, the misery just started.

'Yes gentleman, May I know who're you given the security didn't stop you and you're entering the house without asking.' Dad said and there Maddy noticed that we have other people in the room.

God, what should I do now? I whispered staring at the ceiling.

'Hi Sir, I'm Nandini's friend and I guess I forgot my wallet here on the table yesterday.' he said with a confident voice.

Oh Maddy, don't be so confident. They know about us. I wanted to say but I kept mum.

And here my mom interrupted my self talk by saying,

'Plain lies'

And Maddy just looked here and there for a moment and said,

'Can I talk to Nandini for a moment?'

'No' Dad replied and Maddy just took a deep breath saying,

'Okay, if you want this, I just wanted it to be both of ours decision but its okay, Nandini I hope you're okay with what I'm going to say next' and I gestured him to just speak.

God, if I had a heart, I would've fallen for this man right here. Now don't get me wrong. Love is just not my thing but after my Dad, I respect him the most.

'Sir, Ma'am please sit, I expect this to be a long conversation.' He said to which my dad replied,

'but you keep standing there until, you've not explained yourself.' to which Maddy just nodded.

Mom gestured me to sit but I just went and stood beside Maddy to which he gave me a small smile and started by saying,

'I love your daughter a lot. We met when she was in the first year of college and I was a senior. Looking at her, everything is just perfect for me. We have been together for almost five years now and it's not like we are very perfect together. We fight, we have disagreements, we even stop talking for a few days but those are the days that remind me what living without her is like.
I know we are quite late in telling you this. But I didn't want to involve the emotions of more people in this relationship until I've asked her for spending an eternity with me.
But still, I feel relieved telling you both this. I hope you make the right decision.' He completed looking at me and I just looked at him in awe. Has he always been ready with this speech or what.

'Mom Dad we are happy when we are together.' I said with a smile and I could see my Mom smile now.

'What do you do?' Dad asked. Yay, I know he's melting.

'I'm working in my family's law firm in the crime branch.' He said.

'Oh Singhania's, so my daughter has found a lawyer for herself, alike minds.' Dad said and I gave him my full blown smile.

'Come join us for breakfast, son.' Mom added.

And we had the pancakes and waffles while Maddy holding my hand and replying to Dad's still pending questionnaire.

At that point, one absurd thought crossed my mind.
What if it was Manik instead of Maddy?
I looked at Maddy and he raised his eyebrow at me to which I just shook my head.
I just chucked the thought and enjoyed my time with the family.

Author's Note:

Okay this has been the quickest update I ever gave, But I too want this story to move at a better pace now.

So what do you think,
Maddy or Manik?

Will Nandini meet Manik after this?

or Should Nandini meet Manik after this?

Thanks for showing love.
Do like, comment and share.