Twenty Fifth

Nandini

'Manik you're truly a man with multiple talents. This lasagna is super amazing. How did you become a doctor? Were you even studying or just learning to cook, bake and sketch?' I said and stuffed my mouth with some more lasagna. I literally feel Joey from friends and my Monica is definitely Manik.

'Well cooking is literally the basic necessity. You've to learn this to continue living.' he replied and stretched his lips in an artificial smile only to receive a 'whatever' from me.

'No one lives here other than you?' he asked looking around.

'No, my parents live here but they are into mining and exports business which eventually requires a lot of travelling. So, they're rarely home.' I muttered and started chewing slowly to indicate the end of conversation. I can talk about anything and everything but not the lack of my parent's interest in my life. Perhaps, he got an idea with my response.

'Still you didn't learn to cook?' he asked diverting the topic and mocking me with a sarcastic smile. There're literally a hundred types of smiles he can form with those lips.

'Well, I can cook for survival and I've a chef here. I just gave her an off for today.' I replied with same mocking smile that he just gave me.

'What all does your cook for survival include?' he asked shaking his head. I never really thought he can actually talk considering the silence and inquisitive gaze are the only things I got when I visited him in prison.

'Bread Butter and Coffee' I said with an animated smile. Before he could say anything further, I asked him, with my gaze locked on his face, 'Manik, I need you to tell me what happened?' And, he knew what I was talking about. I don't know if it is too early or too late to ask, but now I feel like I deserve to know the exact truth.

(Till here, I wrote in character's perspective because both the leads were far apart, but from hereon, the novel will be from narrator's perspective, considering it will be a stretch if I write the same thing in two different perspectives. Write down in the comments if you still want some chapters in individual Manik or Nandini's POV)

Manik stared at the ground, his fingers tracing invisible patterns on the arm of chair. He knew that Nandini deserved to know everything, but the thought of revealing his mother's involvement in the murder weighed heavily on him. How could he risk exposing her actions? And yet, he couldn't bear the thought of keeping Nandini in the dark either.

"Manik, please," Nandini implored, her hand resting gently on his forearm. "You can trust me. I'm not going anywhere."

He looked into her eyes, the sincerity in her gaze giving him the courage to speak. "I've been hiding something," he began hesitantly, his voice cracking with emotion. "It's about my mother... and the murder."

Nandini's eyes widened in surprise, but she maintained her composure, waiting for him to continue. Inside, her heart raced, a mix of concern and curiosity driving her to discover the truth.

"Manik," she whispered softly, urging him on.

With a deep breath, Manik steeled himself for the confession that would change everything. The confession that he didn't even make in the court of law. There was no going back now, and he could only hope that Nandini would stand by his side as they faced the consequences together.

"Manik," Nandini began, her voice steady and reassuring. "Whatever it is, I promise that I am here for you, no matter what. You don't have to face this alone." Her eyes shone with unwavering support, a beacon of hope amidst the storm of emotions swirling within him.

He hesitated for a moment longer, feeling the weight of his secret pressing down on him like an anchor. But as he looked into Nandini's eyes, something within him shifted. With her by his side, perhaps he could finally unburden himself from the guilt and pain he had been carrying for so long. He drew in a deep breath, steadying his nerves before beginning his confession.