Of Fire (a tale from Starlite days) - Silmarillion One SHot

Miriel smiled as she walked under the starlight. It was quiet and a beautiful night, she was enjoying it greatly. The air was filled with noise and smells, it was alive with wind and music. Her mind was lost in that music and her own thoughts but the noise of branches caused her to snap out of it. The smell of smoke greeted her as she looked around.

She saw a figure deeper in the woods, she pulled up her skirt a bit and ran that way. "Hey! Are you alright?" She called wondering if a lost elf was having trouble with their lantern or something. Yet, she froze when she got there. A figure of white flames stood there in middle of the small clearing. It turned and looked at her its eyes blazing. Miriel just gasped softly and stood there frozen, a mix of fear and wonder trapped her there. The figure stood there as well staring back at her. Unmoving, watching her with almost curiosity.

She was able to take a step back but the figure copied her movement. She blinked her fear lessening when she saw that. She tried to tilt her head to one side and the flaming figure did the same thing. She then found her courage and started forward slowly. The being did the same thing it walked slowly at her as she walked at it.

They stopped a foot away from each other. She could make out the being before her a bit clearer. They were purely made of white fire as bright as any star. The fire that made up their hair moved about their body and their eyes had a bright gleam to them. She raised her hand and the being of flames did the same. She reached out and their fingers touched.

~~~

"Miral!" Finwe called into the shadows and looked around with a frown. "Where is she?"

"Calm down, Finwe," Said Mahtan to him patting his back. "She is brave and we are still in our territory. She should be fine."

"I know but what if something bad happened to her? What if-" Yet, he was cut off by his friend who clamped a hand over his mouth.

"Finwe. If you start blabbering about all the what if's that exist under the stars, I will tell Tata that it was you who broke his bow." He threatened. Finwe just looked at him and blinked.

"Okay. Now your girlfriend will be alright, let's find her and get back. It's almost time for dinner," He said pulling his hand away.

"She's just a friend Mahtan," Finwe said clearly blushing.

"Finwe. You can give her flowers all the time, blush when you talk about her, and can barely say a full sentence to her without running away. But sure, she's a friend and I am the one who weaved the stars into the sky," Mahtan said with a snort. Finwe just blushed more and followed after Mahtan into the trees. They searched for a bit longer and eventually, the came to a clearing were they saw Miril laying in the middle of it.

"Miril!" Finwe shouted and ran over to her. He bent down but yelped when he reached out to try and wake her.

"What happened?" Asked Mahtan as he hurried over.

"She's burning hot." Replied Finwe as he looked at his hands which were slightly redder as if his hands got to close to fire.

"I'll get Tata. You stay here," Mahtan said as he jumped up and ran back to the main area of their village. Finwe just sat with her giving her a worried look. He held her hand as he sat there and when Tata came the warmth had gone down.

Tata picked her up and helped them bring her back to the village. They brought her to a healers home and Finwe was told to wait outside. He sat on the ground outside the tent with Mahtan who sat next to him. Eventually, Finwe had resorted to pacing back and forth. Mahtan just walked him walk back and forth.

"So. Just a friend?" Mahtan asked getting a glare from Finwe.

~~~

Miriel shifted and opened her eyes. She sat up and looked around the tent, she saw her parents sitting there. Now shew as sitting up they rushed over and hugged her.

"Are you alright?" Her mother asked quickly.

"I am," Miriel nodded.

"What happened?" Her father asked.

"I don't remember," Miriel replied after a moment.

"It's alright." Her mother then said. "Just lay back down and rest."

"I am fine," Miriel said.

"Are you sure?" She asked.

"Honestly. I am just fine," Miriel answered as she moved to sit up more in the bed.

"Please. Just rest a little more," Her mother said. Miriel sighed and nodded, she shifted back and laid back down. Her mother kissed her head gently as she said, "rest well."

"I will." Miriel replied with a little nod. Once her parents left and she was alone she looked at her hands and sighed a bit. She did lie about what happened, the encounter with that fire spirit as well as the gift and warning it gave her. She closed her eyes as she went over the spirit's words in her head, "This gift I give you will be needed one day. Yet, be warned this gift is as much of a curse as a blessing. It can either create or destroy. Yet, it will be needed one day but for now, guard it and treasure it."