Chapter 39

TRIGGER WARNING.
THIS CHAPTER CONTAINS SOME SERIOUS SHIT.

"What have I become, my sweetest friend?
Everyone I know goes away in the end."

***

Who is Roger?

I have to find that out before Harry gets back to the house. 

I throw the old journal on his bed and walk out of his room. I look out of the window to see that it's almost sunset. I have to hurry up. I drop the curtain back and my feet move as fast as they can towards the attic.

I climb the creaky old stairs and enter the dusty attic. I make my way back to the box that I had left there a few minutes ago. I open it back up and start taking things out of it. I put the pictures which I saw earlier in my lap and look further into the box.

I find an old letter which has been ripped open from the top. It has an address written on the outside in a curvy handwriting with the date 14/08/2013. I pull out the piece of paper from the inside and open it.

Dear Mother,

I know that you and father still haven't forgiven me or Aaron for the things which happened in the past. But this isn't about us. This is about our son, Harry. I have a feeling that he is staying with you but even if he isn't, I think that you should be aware of what has happened in these past few years and how it isn't really safe being around him anymore....

-

-

After I reading the whole letter, I sit there stuck in a trance. I don't know what to think or do.

Roger. The blood. Therapists. Disappearing. Toby.

Now I wish that I never came into this attic. After reading Harry's journal, I really thought that maybe he had an abusive past. Maybe his parents didn't love him enough or something. But now this letter proves that it was actually the quite opposite. They tried everything to get their son back to normal. I was so naive.

How could someone be as psychotic as Harry at the age of twelve?

His mother mentioned that his father refuses to even acknowledge the fact that Harry exists.. he keeps repeating that his son died at the age of twelve. 

But what went through Harry's mind that he ended up changing completely?

According to her, Roger was the closest and the most precious thing to Harry.. How could he turn against his own pet and rip the poor thing to shreds? 

But what scares me the most is the thought which just crosses my mind. My breathing turns shallow as I think about it.. If this letter is in this box and Harry is aware of the fact that this stuff is placed in the attic, then wouldn't he have read the letter? And if he did read it, I can't even imagine his outrage would've been like... Did his grandmother scratch his face out because of this letter?

Just then I hear light footsteps behind me and my eyes widen. Harry's back, isn't he?

I instantly stand up from my position on the floor but don't even dare to turn and look at him. The pictures that were in my lap fall to the ground and scatter. I can hear his deep erratic breaths clearly in the deadly silence of this old attic. Goosebumps flare up all over my body and the only thing other than his breaths are that I can hear are my shallow ones.

"I told you not to come in here." Harry says rather calmly and my eyes close at his words as I take a deep breath in.

There is no point in keeping my mouth shut now. We both know that I have found out about his past since he just found me in the attic with the pictures and not to mention the mess of the books downstairs in the lounge and his journal on the bed. The only thing left now is to confront.