Chapter 31

"How the birds can sing a tuneless song? 
How can they stay in the sky? 

Maybe they're just screaming 
maybe it's not music and it's all a lie
"

***

A small amount of sunlight comes through the skylight of the basement, I think it's close to sunset now. Soon this room will go back to the deadly darkness. I'm not even sure how many days it has been in this basement.. It's hard to keep a track of time but I'm pretty sure it has been two weeks or so. Whenever Harry is not here and I'm left alone with my thoughts, I can't help but wonder if my friends even noticed me disappearing out of the blue. I'm pretty sure they didn't since Chris is probably still in Seattle with Lou and Liam whereas Niall is most probably back by now..

I wonder if he has been suspicious or not.. I really hope they notice that there is something wrong and report it to the police..

The door of the basement opens, interrupting my thoughts. My breath starts to hitch and my body tenses as soon as I hear heavy footsteps coming down the stairs. Harry makes his way towards me and I press myself further into the wall in order get away from him.

He sighs and sits down onto the bed. He moves forward to tuck a strand of hair behind my ear and I can't help but flinch. He furrows his eyebrows but doesn't say anything about me flinching.

 After a moment he breaks the ice by saying, "I'm just here to let you know that I don't want to hear a single sound coming from you for the next few hours, no banging on the basement door. If you need something, then wait till I come back downstairs. Otherwise, make yourself nonexistent. And if you try to do something, trust me, there will be no saving you from me then. Are we clear?"

I just nod my head, not having it in me to say something to him. For some reason, my silence enrages him.

"I asked, Are we clear!? Use that tongue of yours which you can't seem to control at other times, love," he snaps.

"Y-YES! You know for someone who wants me to act nonexistent for a few hours, you sure do want me to say something back all the damn time."

 "Just shut up," he mutters under his breath as he gets up and I scoff at his words. Without another word, he leaves.

As soon as he is out of my sight, my mind wanders back to thinking of how to get out of this hellhole. Just then, I hear the basement door shutting but I don't hear it locking.

Did he just forget to lock the door?

I sit there staring at the stairs for a few minutes.. Should I walk up the stairs and try to open it? 

Or what if it's just a trap? What if he did it on purpose to check if I'll try to escape or not?

I sit there contemplating my options for about half an hour, too scared about what will happen if he finds out that I was trying to sneak out. But then I don't have anything to lose, apart from this life which I'm going to lose anyway.

I gather all of the courage and slowly start walking up the stairs. As I step at one of them, it lets out a loud creak and I stop breathing right there. 

After a moment of not hearing anything from Harry, I let go of the breath I was holding and start making my way upstairs. Just as I reach the door, I can hear the sound of chatter coming from upstairs. It sounds like a conversation between two people.

Why would you even have people over when you have a person locked up in your basement. I mean, It's not the best idea.

I slowly open the door, making sure not to make a sound and peek my head out to see someone sitting on the couch down the hallway. It isn't Harry for sure. I can hear Harry's sound coming from afar and then there is a sound of two bottles opening.