3. Change Is Needed

King

I walked into my moms house and immediately spotted the huge picture of my brother Kane. I sighed and took my hat off and ran my hands across my face. I miss him more than anyone knows, a tear fell from my eye as I made my way towards my room. It makes me mad to think he was murdered, happened three days after his birthday. All he wanted to do was get out, go to school and become something.

Kane never bothered anyone, he stayed to himself and always kept his eye on the prize. I guess a few niggas thought he had something and they decided to rob him. Killed him, left my brother laying on the concrete with two shots to the head. I still wanna know what they seen in him, why they felt the need to target him.

My mom hasn't been the same since he died, she's harder on me, constantly worrying she'll have to bury me next. I made her a promise I'd do right and try my best to make it out. But it'll be sad if I broke that promise, no day is guaranteed. I'm not out in the streets doing anything too terrible. Occasionally I fight, get fucked up and end up back out the county...

It's the only way to numb the pain of my brothers absence. It wasn't supposed to end how it did but it's too late to start thinking of what I could have done. I turned the knob to my room door and noticed my mom sitting on the bed praying. She does this every night, especially when I don't come home before two.

I wrapped my arms around her shoulders and hugged her tight.

"I'm alright ma, I'm home now.. go on to bed"

"King... you have to change, I have a bad feeling in my heart. I need you to give your life to God and get it together. This life isn't good for you"

"Alright mom I will, I pray.. I believe.. but it's like God doesn't hear me"

"He hears you baby, when it's time for your blessing you will receive it. Just keep praying and focus on bettering your life. I can't lose you too, these streets don't care if you're a hard working person or not. They'll get whoever they think they can come up off of. Please stop disrespecting Hazel, you're gonna regret it one day. I love you baby"

I kissed her forehead and nodded hearing what she was saying. Its like no matter how many times she tells me to change I don't, I can't..

"I love you too ma"

She shook her head knowing that I'm not gonna change anytime soon. I hate to disappoint her but I love the life I'm living..

:
Hazel

I looked at the different types of clippers and sighed. I wanna cut hair more than anything, I just don't have the money for the equipment. I don't even wanna ask my mom and dad for anything more. I appreciate everything they've done for me now, but I'm tired of not knowing when they'll get sick of paying the way for me.

It's not a good feelings depending on someone for everything you need. I have been looking for work but every application I put in goes unnoticed. I'm a young girl still fresh out of highschool with no experience what so ever. However I do know a few things about cutting men's hair, it's just that no shops takes me serious.

I've had them laugh at me when I tell them what I wanna do. Its always you're too pretty to cut hair, that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Thats like telling a guy he's too fine to cut hair. Makes no sense at all, I've cut a few guys hair. They would have come back to me but I don't have my own supplies.

I stopped at a whole barber kit it had everything and I mean everything I'd need, besides a chair of course. I rung the bell at the counter and waited for guy to come back out. He stopped in front of me and asked what I needed.