CHAPTER TWENTY

ROSE'S POV.

A MONTH LATER.

Sister Tayo's case was adjourned twice by the judge, despite all she did to my parents, I still felt pity for her. Our eyes met at the courtroom and I saw how sorry she was. After that day at the police station with her, I didn't go back to see her.

I didn't want to contact any of my father's relatives because I wasn't used to them, I only saw them for the first time during my parent's funeral and when they held a meeting concerning who I'd stay with. Ever since I started staying with Sister Tayo, they never for once called to check up on me.

Alex's parents were sentenced almost immediately, they sentenced his father to death and sentenced his mother to life imprisonment. At the courtroom that day, I saw another part of Alex; I saw the vulnerable and pitiable part of him, the broken Alex and I was sad because I couldn't be of help. All I did was to cook for him and make him feel loved and happy.

Ever since that day, Alex and I have been living together at my house. Crazy right? Well, I couldn't leave him alone during his bad times. He went home and took the documents they wanted him to sign, to our utmost surprise, it was more than just a document.

Apparently, Alex's biological father bought shares that worth hundreds of millions for him and if he had signed the document, he would have given them all the shares. He was able to redeem most shares, open an account and he started receiving money, crazy! But that was what we've been fending on. I don't understand how it all worked but Mr. Paul explained to Alex and I was partially listening.

After series of investigations and torture, we were able to get more information from them before they were sentenced, Mr. Paul explained that they were sent by God knows who to murder Alex's father, which they did successfully. When Mr. Alabi and his boys burst into their home; the first thing he sighted was the document, Alex's birth father was holding it in his hands before he was killed.

According to the findings, Alex's birth mother died during Alex's birth. His father and the maid took care of him for a year, until the assassins came, took his life, and abducted his child. They wanted to kill him but the orderer wasn't specific if they should kill the boy too (Alex), so instead; they abducted him and when they read the documents, they realized that they'd have to keep him till he's 18, They made a fake birth certificate to show that he is 17 years old so when he's signing the document he won't think it's something important.

" So you mean I've been celebrating the wrong birthday? How ridiculous?" He laughed really hard and looked at me, I couldn't help but laugh with him.

"To sum it all, I'm 18 years old?"  He laughed so hard, it wasn't the news we got that was hilarious to me, but the way he laughed was so contagious that I couldn't help it.

We were told Alex's biological parent's name, it was Ikechukwu but we were not told their first name. Mr. Paul went to the old house where Alex's father lived before it all happened and he was able to see some people living there, he was happy to see that Alex's uncle was the one staying there.

"Rose?" I heard Alex's voice from the living room, I was in the kitchen fixing what we'd eat.

"They've started the movie." He shouted.

"Oh, OK I'm coming." I rushed into the living room.

"Popcorn?" He offered.

"Of course." I smiled.

"Hmmn, you didn't get this popcorn from the usual spot right?" I said as I buried the popcorn in my mouth.

"I didn't, David recommended this one. I bought it for hot." He grinned.