CHAPTER TEN

ROSE'S POV

" I think she did it to get back at you," Martha muttered.

" To get back at me? Why? For what?." I asked looking perplexed.

"We can't say yet though. She might not be the one" David added.

"Let's move forward," Martha said looking excited as usual. I haven't seen someone with great vibes as she has. I'm happy she's my friend.

"Who do you think is the next suspect?" I asked looking oddly at David.

"Well, we can't decide who our next suspect should be" He stared at me and continued, "but all I know is that Maria has a hand in this".

"Ok, we should try and find evidence to prove our points. I don't want to point fingers at the wrong person.". I looked at David to be sure he got my point.

" Well, let's conclude, I am very sure it is Maria's doings. No need for further findings, if you ask me." Martha said.

"Ha, it's seven o'clock, my aunt must have been  searching for me."  I ran outside and they both rushed after me.

" At least let's see you off" Martha shouted

I shouldn't be worried though, Sister Tayo was in a good mood when I left the house.

"Ok" I paused and they caught up with me.

"Your aunt doesn't seem like a nice person" David smiled.

"She is, I don't just like her pissed at me," I said looking down.

"Oh," Martha added.

No sooner had we walked past their house than a man came out from a shop and approached us.

"Young lady!!!.
The man said louder to get our attention.
I wasn't sure of who he was referring to, Me or Martha.
"I am talking to you". He pointed at Martha and she looked confused, I am sure she doesn't know him.

" you forgot to collect your Two hundred Naira change for the simcard you bought three days ago."

"Oh that, y_o_u_ can keep the change"  she stammered.
"Thank you". He walked away

"I have totally forgotten about the change.
My mum asked me to buy her a Sim card, her phone got stolen. " she said without anyone asking her.

"Oh really?. I said.

"Yeah"  she added.

"We'll have to stop here. We tried right? David smiled.

"Thanks, guys" I smiled and Martha hugged me.
" you're welcome," Martha said.

" I deserve a hug too you know." He said as he stretched his hands. I didn't hesitate to hug him.
They made me so relieved. I am happy they are my friends.

We parted ways.

MARTHA'S POV

"let's sit here," David said.

The street was quiet, even the birds were mute. We sat on a bench in front of an incomplete building. The cool breeze wiped through my face. I regret wearing a short gown. The breeze blew its way through my gown, lifting it up, I had to pin it down with my hands.
We were mute for a while as we watched Rose walk out of our sight.

"Why did you do it" He finally broke the silence, looking into the ground.

"Do what" I pretended like I wasn't aware of what he was talking about.

"Never mind. " He added.
"Ok".  I said.

" I'm sorry about last night." He looked at his other side to hide his expressions.

"Yeah, let's just pretend like it never happened," I said facing down.

"I swear, that would be the last time," He said.

"We promised ourselves the first time, second, third, and now; we're making the same promise again. Let's just not talk about it.
"Ok," He muttered.

"Yeah".

He brought out an empty Sim card pack.
" I saw this in the trash bin." He said and I looked away.
" What do you have to say about it.?" He asked further.

"Nothing, how sure are you that the pack is mine".  I gave him a stern look.

"Really? Three days ago, that man; and guess what? I checked the number it's the same with the one on the group. C'mon, I'm not that foolish."  He laughed really hard.

I've known David for about two years now. He moved in with his family two years ago, and because we attended the same school, we became friends. He has been nothing but kind to me.
Early this year he walked into my apartment knowing my parents were never around until Ten' pm in the night, He kissed me and one thing led to the other, we had sex for the first time together. Though he claimed that was the first time, he knew too much than a novice. Ever since we've had a series of lovemaking.
I wouldn't call it lovemaking because we're not lovers, although he claims he loves me. He told me he wanted us to be officially together but I am waiting for the one I really want to be with, ALEX.

"Martha, don't play dumb with me." He warned when he didn't receive a response.

" I don't know why you're so sure that I'm behind all this." I managed to say.

"I guess because you're not happy with the fact that she and Alex are close and Alex likes her". He raised his voice.

I laughed and said.

"So you think so too? well, I had to do something; I couldn't have waited and watched them be together. I had to act fast you know."I smiled.

"You're a devil, how did you find out about his mother? I can't believe I thought I liked a devil. You're so wicked."_He looked at me with an irritating look and stood up and I  followed him.

He was about walking away when I yelled at him.

"Why are you so pissed? How are you affected? I've always liked him, ok !!! But he never came through" I yelled.
Thank God the street was silent, I would have avoided the conversation if it wasn't.

Alex and I have been friends ever since he walked into our school. He is different, smart, good looking, intelligent and of all, caring.
I gave him so much attention but he was too blind to notice me. Although he sees me as a friend but I want something more.
The gifts, food, sleepless nights thinking of how to look good so he'd notice me. The excessive body spray, thinking, if he doesn't see the green lights; he'd smell it. I was wrong; I tried catching a fish instead I got a frog.
David is the frog.
I was trying to make Alex like me but I attracted David instead.
I've tried sometimes to get along with David but aside our little affair, I wanted nothing more from him.

"I've tried everything, but you know what? I'll have to put an end to all this." He said looking disappointed.

" put an end to what?" I asked looking confused.

"To us"  He muttered and walked faster than usual.

"Us!?" I laughed and continued. "There was never an us".  I shouted so he could hear me and I think he did.
I watched him until he was out of sight.
I knew I was being mean but I couldn't help it.
I just hope he keeps this between us.

Short!!!?
I know, I've been busy recently!
I'm sorry😭😭
Comment ❤️
Vote😢