CHAPTER EIGHT

What a beautiful morning. I said to myself.
I left my room and went into the living room, I was shocked to see Sister Tayo at the dining table with a cup of coffee.

"Good morning Rose." She said without looking back.

"Good morning ma."

"Start preparing for school." She ordered.

" OK, ma. Are you OK?" I asked.

"Yeah, Kola didn't come home yesterday, I guess he already made up his mind." She told me.

"Oh, I think he doesn't know how to face you and apologize."

"I don't need his apology." She said and faced me with a stern look.

"I'll have to start preparing for school," I said.

"OK, I'll be dropping you at school then," She said.
"It's fine. I can go myself, I wouldn't want to stress you."

"I insist." She said.

"Ok, ma."

I went into my room to start preparing.

7:05 am

I was in my room when Sister Tayo walked in. Do you have dirty clothes? The laundry woman is here." She said.
"Yeah, I do. I tried using the washing machine few days ago but it wasn't working, I had to wash them manually." I said.

"Yeah, I've had dozens of repairers to fix it, it'll work and only last for few weeks; I was even surprised it lasted this long." She smiled.

"Oh" I said.

"I can see you're ready. Get the clothes out, I'll be waiting for you in the car outside and be fast about that." She said.
"OK ma."

She left.
I went through my clothes, the new and old ones. I barely had time to separate them, I picked the dirty clothes. I was about rearranging the clothes when I saw my former school uniform, this made me remember my classmates and my teachers. I didn't give them a notice before leaving school; they came visiting when they heard about the incident.

I decided to fold it back into the wardrobes. There's no need to have it washed since I would not be wearing it again. I said to myself.

I picked it up and tried folding it, then I felt something inside the uniform's pocket, I remove it and I saw a key. My mother's last words echoed in my head, "protect this key and do not tell anyone"
I almost forgot about this. I said to myself.
I was curious about the key, I don't even know what it was all about, but I'm sure it must be very important.

"Rose!!! Sister Tayo shouted.
I returned the key to the uniform's pocket, ran out and gave the woman the clothes. I greeted the woman but she didn't respond.

" Rose, you're running late." Sister Tayo said.
I rushed into the car.

"How many books did you take Rose. That bag looks heavy." She said and smiled.

"Just some books." I smiled.

"Rose, I really don't want you to keep bad friends in school, if it's possible; do not make friends. That boy...errrrm what's his name again?" She asked.

"Alex.", I said, looking offended.

"Yeah, Alex. I don't like his company at all." She said.

" why? He has been helpful." I said.

I don't like it when she talks while driving.

"I just need you to be careful." She added.

"OK ma." I replied.