the ceremony

289,548 likes | 6,873 comments idubbbz Dog sitting

idubbbz Dog sitting

「」「」「」「」

it's been about three days and violet stood in the hotel room, waiting for the moment when corey gets out of the shower so she could take her own. the ceremony was in a couple hours and neither sibling could be more uncomfortable. family they haven't seen in years will be there, pressuring them into answering questions that really don't need to even be thought about.

she stood in the mirror admiring her black dress and black heels. in her head she'd like to think he mom was proud of the woman she's become, even if she's a woman who didn't visit her father before he passed. "let's get on the road," corey says after placing his hand on his sisters back. "did you have them arrange tissue boxes?" violet nods and grabs her handbag off from the sink counter.

the scene was almost too surreal. the picture of their father, flowers, pews that will soon be filled with family and friends, everything. "i'm speechless," violet mumbled as she stared into the open church. after her mother's funeral she hasn't seen such a sight. the funeral home owners that worked with violet and corey, walked into the church with their hands clasped together as if they were praying.

"beautiful, isn't it?" the blond boy from yesterday asks as he approaches violet. she nods and felt that same right feeling in her chest as she did a couple days ago.

"yes, indeed. thank you so much for your time and support," violet gushed as she looked over the space. her family began to gather in the pews with their black clothing and their own tissues. "i... i don't know these people anymore," she admitted with her cheeks burning a bright crimson.

"well, my family is here if you need anything. my name is luca by the way." the way he acted when saying his name was almost like she should've known him. she shook his hand and smiled as he walked back off to his family. here we go, violet thought to herself before greeting numerous family members.

"oh, my dear angel, how've you been?" violet's aunt asked as she held her hand. "it's been so long, v." grinning softly, violet felt more comfortable than she has all day. "oh, you do remember me, right?"

"of course, aunt maria. i've missed you." they shared a hug before violet went to greet more family and friends. either people were full of sorrow, spiteful toward her, or estatic to see her. none of those reactions made violet feel content, after all, this was the funeral of a man she hasn't seen in years.

as she sat down, a sudden flow of realization bloomed. luca was her friends boyfriend throughout high school. she didn't second guess staying seated and not saying another word to him. amari and luca broke up after he told someone that he didn't feel the same anymore, and word got back around to amari.

listening to the poetic words the priest spoke, violet felt her nose tingle, and soon after tears filled her green eyes. a hand placed on her shoulder, distracting her from the pain that engulfed her. "oh, what are you doing here?" staring in utter shock, she grabbed the brunet's hand and pulled him down by her side.

"i'm so sorry, vi. it's weird that i came, but i felt like i needed to be here." ian wrapped his arm around the girls shoulders as the background noise of the priest talking filled his ears. "beautiful ceremony."

"now, the son of mr. cosby would like to say some words," the priest said and watched as corey climbed the steep steps that connected to the stage. sighing, corey placed his paper on the podium and shook away his sorrow.

"there wasn't a single day that this man didn't cross my mind. he was a father, and a good one too. after the death of our mother..." he choked on his words, his feelings finally catching up to him. "he uh... he told my older sister to take us out to america so we could restart with a life we could make just for us...

"when i was 12, i was only mildly upset about the situation of leaving, but as i progressively got older i began to book my own flights to visit my father. throughout this time he would speak to me about memories he shared with my mother and the work he's been doing. not one time did he ever apologize or regret sending us away, because somehow, he knew we were happy in our new lives....

"my father worked until his body refused to stand. i remember as a kid he pushed me to be my very best, and now here i stand, fortunate enough to be saying that i knew this man. my very best is the part of me that he created. rest in peace, father." finishing his speech, corey wiped away the salty tears that flowed down his face. it was almost too mesmerizing to see such heartbreak.

"are you speaking?" ian questioned, rubbing her shoulder as a sign of comfort. she nodded and leaned her head on him as she sobbed.

"and now, the beloved daughter of alec cosby." standing, she tried to stifle her tears. violet gripped the stand and blinked away her fears.

"throughout my childhood i was always a daddy's girl. i remember our daddy daughter dates we did. we would go to the movies, go to lunch, maybe even stay home while my mom and cory went out. however, as i grew up my dad thought me too old to do that with. i would give anything to go on one last adventure with him...

"when i turned 18 and graduated from high school, he told me to take my brother over to america in hopes we would somehow have a better life. at that time i didn't fully understand why moving to america was such a huge deal to my father, or why he so desperately wanted us to live a fuller life....

"in italy, here in bari, i was absolutely happy, but when i moved to america i met the most amazing people. i thank my dad for the courage he had to allow both of his children to venture off to another country by themselves. he is, and always will be, the only man i'll ever think deserved unconditional love and support." in the corner of violet's eye, she could see ian with tears, saddened over the loss of a man he'll never be able to meet.