the mission

————- ✼ ————-

 As soon as Kylo fell asleep, the nightmare started. 

"Good, Ben. You've improved a good deal these past few days." Master Luke complimented as a young Ben Solo finished his training lesson. Ben beamed, pleased that he had made his uncle proud. He brushed a strand of ebony hair from his sweaty forehead, taking a swig of water from his canteen nearby. He glanced up once more when he heard Luke clear his throat.

Luke pointed to a girl that looked to be around his age. She stood at a balcony, peacefully gazing out across the magnificent mountains and rolling hills of Yavin 4. A soft smile rested on her face as a butterfly landed on the railing beside her hand. 

The butterfly was a brilliant blue color, which the girl seemed to admire. Ben's eyes reverted to her face. Her soft features complimented her bright eyes. Her hair fell around her face perfectly, framing it. She was the personification of an angel.

"Her name is y/n. She'll be your new training partner. You both have very separate skill sets, so you will learn how to fight against a person of different talents." Luke continued, confident in his plan. 

Ben eagerly nodded, excited to begin his training with this mystery girl. He glanced back at her, his brows furrowing as the girl slowly turned around. She was no longer smiling. Instead, she had tears streaming down her face, which was scarred with cuts & bruises. 

"You did this!" She yelled in agony, an edge of anger in her tone. "You let this happen. You let Snoke tempt you and look where that's gotten you. You took everything from us. You took everything from me." She paused to glare directly into his eyes. "What have you said? What have you done? What will you plan to do? I don't know who you are anymore. The Ben I knew is dead. And so am I."

He couldn't sense anymore anger exerting from her. All she was, was sadness. Ben couldn't speak or do anything, only watch in terror as she collapsed to the ground, her hands tangled in her hair as she screamed, her tears mixing with the blood dripping from her hairline.

Kylo woke in a cold sweat, immediately looking down to see his black sheets scrunched up at the end of his bed. He let out a groan, frustrated that it had happened again. This repeated every night, sometimes more than once. 

After he had killed Snoke, he thought the nightmares would end. He thought that this wouldn't still be happening. The part that scared him the most was the fact that most of them were about her. The girl who he'd been ripped away from all of those years ago at Luke's temple. 

She was the part of him that he couldn't seem to let go of. 

She was the last remaining evidence of Ben Solo, the future Jedi prodigy. He was at war with himself. She was precious to him, which meant that he either needed to destroy her or never let her go. He wondered how differently time seemed to pass for him. Sometimes it felt like training at the temple was just yesterday, but other times it felt as though it was just a dream. A figment of his imagination.

But he was painfully reminded that it wasn't.

All of the pain. All of the hurt. It had been caused by him. Him.

Once the temple had burned, Kylo made sure that she was safe and that she had escaped. He was haunted by his decision to send her away. It affected him so much that he felt that the only way to stop this constant torment was to find her, and bring her home. 

Now that Snoke was gone, Kylo knew that she wouldn't be in danger by coming to the First Order. He didn't exactly know what he was going to do once he had actually found her, but he didn't care. He quickly hopped out of bed, heading over toward his wardrobe to change and shower.

It was early in the morning on the New Supremacy.

Today was the day. After months of searching and all-nighters, he had finally found her. He had sent a bounty to almost every planet of the known galaxy, and he had finally received word from Naboo.

She had been spotted in Theed City, in the outskirts of the city.

He paced down the endless hallways and into the main control room. The officers and lieutenants were already at their stations, ready to begin their work for the day. Kylo looked over and scowled at the sight of General Hux, who was smugly peering down at all of the staff operating at their stations.

Kylo already knew that General Hux resented his mission to locate this mysterious "l/n girl" from the temple. Hux believed that love was a weakness, which Kylo agreed with. Kylo's experience, love seemed to either bring out the best or worst in people, but it was easily manipulated.

It would only be a weakness if he let it become one.

Hux glared directly into Kylo's visor. "Are you embarking on that mission today, Ren?" He sneered. Kylo glared back, becoming defensive. "You'll refer to me as Supreme Leader, General. I refuse to have my staff disrespecting me on my own ship." Kylo spoke, already growing tiresome of Hux. 

That seemed to shut the General up for the time being. 

"I hardly think that this mission is necessary is all that I'm saying. What if this girl has joined the Resistance, or worse, what if she's dead?" Hux snapped back. 

Hux's statement was logical, and quite possibly right, even though Kylo would never admit it. Although he knew she wasn't dead, the idea that she joined the Resistance almost seemed worse. He hated that it made sense. 

Kylo simply acknowledged Hux's statement, letting out a deep breath and marching out of the room. He already had a ship prepared for him, which he would pilot himself. 

He could still feel y/n's force signature on the planet of Naboo, which would be his guide. Her signature was still as strong as he remembered it to be, and he wondered as to how he couldn't sense it before.

Eventually, the time came for departure. The two ties that were to escort him were already there, waiting patiently for Kylo's arrival. He quickly nodded towards them and boarded his own shuttle. 

As the shuttle's engine started, Kylo took a deep breath. The ship gently lifted from the hangar bay, making its way out of the main ship and into open space. 

He looked forward with a confident expression and was lost in thought as the ship took off into hyperspace.

He didn't know what to feel as the ship passed by the rush of planets and stars. He hated to admit it, but he was nervous. It had been such a long time since he had something to actually fight for. 

Something that was so important to him, that he would risk anything to keep it safe.

And what if he couldn't?

                                                      ————- ✼ ————-