T H I R T E E N

He arrived with the sun. The old man who worked the night shift at the restaurant nearly felt his heart jumped through his chest when Atsumu strolled into the hotel with the first sun rays.

"I'm fine, mom," groaned Atsumu into his phone as he walked towards the national training center.

"I almost had a heart attack when Osamu told me you took off last night!"

"I'm sorry, mom."

"You have some serious explaining to do, young man!"

"I said I'm sorry," cried Atsumu as he messaged his temples.

"What the hell happened last night? Does it have something to do with Momo-chan?"

Atsumu froze in his tracks when the picture of his next-door-neighbor danced in front of his eyes. His heart stopped beating and the anger he shoved away from last night came boiling back like thunder in the summer.

"It has nothing to do with her mom," grumbled Atsumu.

A chuckled fell through the line and Atsumu rolled his eyes.

"What did she do?"

"Nothing."

"Tsumu."

"Mom! I really need to go!"

"Wait-" called Mrs. Miya.

"Okay, bye, love ya!"

He ignored the call from his mother and hung up the phone. He ignored the thumping of his heart and ran the rest of the way to the gym. He couldn't keep an evil, sinister and mocking smirk from his lips the entire duration at the first practice of the volleyball youth training camp. He wasn't threatened by the new competition, such as Kageyama Tobio, a setter from Miyagi, whom he planned to tease after their match – since Atsumu was the best high school setter in Japan.

"Miya!"

A boy with feather-like, snow-white hair yelled at the blond setter. Miya followed the ball with his eyes and lazily jogged after it.

"Yeah, yeah," muttered Atsumu.

He moved underneath the ball, jumped into the air beautifully like a bird, and set the ball right into the hands of Kageyama who smashed the ball over the net. It landed on the floor and jumped back into the air.

"Nice kill!" smirked Atsumu.

After the match, Atsumu saw his opportunity to have a little bit of fun with the new setter.

"Well? How did it feel to be a spiker?

Kageyama glanced up to his golden eyes and stopped stretching.

"It was fun!" Kageyama replied in an eager voice.

"Anyone who can't hit my tosses just sucks."

Kageyama rosed his brow, confused but didn't ask any question.

"Maybe you're better off being a spiker rather than a setter, Tobio-kun. Your face is really intense when your setting."

"But, I'm a setter."

Atsumu needed to keep his mouth from twitching as he bent down next to the young boy with the raven-black hair.

"Yeah, I figured as much," sighed Atsumu with a smirk plastered on his face. He rose from his seat and glanced through the gym. Kageyama gave his senpai a puzzled look.